Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th August 2010, 07:28 AM   #1361
mige0 is offline mige0  Austria
diyAudio Member

Location: Austria, at a beautiful place right in the heart of the Alps.
Yes - to me it seems to be the same results - just that I cant do overlay as you show

Click the image to open in full size.

Thanks for making "tab" available..

Michael

Last edited by mige0; 15th August 2010 at 07:31 AM.
Old 15th August 2010, 11:14 AM   #1362
diyAudio Member

Hi David

I finally was able to get the latest version of Hornresp. I live in Canada close to Ottawa the capital. I never had any problems downloading the file from the former server. But to get the latest I had to use a proxy server based in the Netherlands to get it. Wierd!

But get it I did!

Thanks for the updates.

Mark
Old 15th August 2010, 12:46 PM   #1363
Khron is offline Khron  Romania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Khron Send a message via MSN to Khron Send a message via Yahoo to Khron
Greetings,

It might've been asked before, but... Is there any chance that, in some future version, it will be possible to include some active filtering? For tapped horns (at least) it would be quite nice to see / check what frequency to set the low-end high-pass, for anti-overexcursion protection
Old 15th August 2010, 03:49 PM   #1364
diyAudio Member

Hi David, one more question

Regarding diaphragm displacement its said in the HELP that it is for a specified input signal.

Can this input signal be selected - or if not - what value is it?
Could you possibly add an option to relate displacement to an specific output SPL of desire as well ?
This would give me a clue on how THD and IM distortion alter relatively, when opimizing overall design.
Just a thought...

By the way capture feature does not work with displacement plot either - maybe its on my system as I run Hornresp under XP in Virtualbox ? - though didn't experience any troubles until now...

Michael

Last edited by mige0; 15th August 2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 15th August 2010, 04:33 PM   #1365
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
Michael, I would say that 120 dB is somewhat unrealistic with OB-speakers. May be Stig-Erik could comment on this, his setup, which you know I think, would be closer to achieve it. But really even with large conearea I think you will have trouble reaching these levels also with IB speakers.

Effeciency-wise with OB, plain panels will be more efficient than H- and U-baffles which in turn will be more effecient than Ripole and N-baffles, but these last variations can be constructed to go lower in frequency.

/Erling
I've now run a couple of Hornresp simus and IMO it was quite interesting on that subject.

Sure you are right - max SPL depends on type of OB - but with two of the Ripols each side (+9dB in summ) Hornresp tells me that 120dB *free field* can be accomplished roughly up from 60Hz.

Thats for a displacement of 5mm and full AES input of 700W for each double (and all four double 15" in mono-operation assumed) - still an impressive figure I'd say - though it does not tell us anything about the SPL outcome *in room* - and - would burn past 2kW amp power

The most interesting part is that low frequency for full max SPL of 120dB can only be lowered marginally to roughly 40-50Hz when the front to back distance would be doubled (80cm). And what a surprise: infinite baffle wouldn't perform any better than those 80cm !!!

So - *if* one decides to go OB sub, a Ripol isn't any bad

This I very much like from simus - quick guesstimation on optimization trade offs - big thanks to David for providing such a versatile tool !!!

Michael

Last edited by mige0; 15th August 2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old 15th August 2010, 07:37 PM   #1366
diyAudio Member

Just to complete:

With a good 18" we could reach with same config (4 pieces of double Ripol) 120dB free air up from roughly 30Hz
- and with 21"" woofers Beyma 21SW1600 in same config free air 120dB would go up from slightly below 20Hz
Amp power needed is more or less the same in all cases.

I guess I have to ask Stig Erik doing a free air measurement.

Michael

Last edited by mige0; 15th August 2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 17th August 2010, 07:09 AM   #1367
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mige0 View Post
Yes - to me it seems to be the same results - just that I cant do overlay as you show.
Hi Michael,

This is very strange indeed. To capture results it should simply be a matter of:

1. Right-clicking the mouse on any chart to open the 'Capture current results' pop-up menu.
2. Clicking on the 'Capture current results' pop-up menu command to save the data. A red 'Current results captured' message should then be temporarily displayed in the top left corner of the chart to confirm that the information has been stored - see Attachment.

Captured results can then be subsequently compared to other results by selecting the 'Tools' > 'Compare Captured' menu command, or by pressing the F4 function key.

Kind regards,

David
Attached Images
File Type: png Captured.png (24.2 KB, 219 views)
Old 17th August 2010, 07:16 AM   #1368
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
But to get the latest I had to use a proxy server based in the Netherlands to get it.
Hi Mark,

Thanks for letting me know that you found a way around the problem - a weird one indeed :-).

Kind regards,

David
Old 17th August 2010, 07:26 AM   #1369
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khron View Post
Is there any chance that, in some future version, it will be possible to include some active filtering?
Hi Khron,

Sorry, but I have no plans to add incoming signal filtering functionality to Hornresp.

My interest lies with the performance of the loudspeaker itself - not with how the signal is processed prior to reaching the loudspeaker :-).

Kind regards,

David
Old 17th August 2010, 07:54 AM   #1370
diyAudio Member

Hi Michael,

Quote:
Regarding diaphragm displacement its said in the HELP that it is for a specified input signal. Can this input signal be selected - or if not - what value is it?
By default Hornresp assumes a sinusoidal constant voltage input signal. The root-mean-square value of this voltage is given by Eg. When the Maximum SPL tool is used, the voltage level at a particular frequency is derived from the specified value of Pmax or Xmax, depending upon which parameter is the limiting factor.

Quote:
Could you possibly add an option to relate displacement to an specific output SPL of desire as well?
Sorry, it's not going to happen :-).

Quote:
By the way capture feature does not work with displacement plot either - maybe its on my system as I run Hornresp under XP in Virtualbox?
I suspect that the problem may be with your system :-). No-one else has reported similar issues and as you can see from my earlier attachment, the capture feature normally also works with the Diaphragm Displacement chart.

Kind regards,

David

Hide this!Advertise here!