Hornresp - Page 104 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th April 2010, 05:52 PM   #1031
djn is offline djn  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi All, I have a few questions about this project: if you don't mind.

1. how do I determine what size the throat should be?

2. What curve should I use to get the shortest horn?

3. would using more than one segment allow me to go down lower with the same size horn with just one segment?

4. I've thought about using the Beta 8, but only because I've heard it works well with bass horns. Is it good?

My biggest issue is having to cross over at 120hz, or there about, to my subs. Seem to high by my intuition. Size is any issue, but a minor one. A friend has a CNC machine so hogging the horn flares out perfect is not an issue and he will not charge me so cost is not an issue either. Thanks in advance.
Old 7th April 2010, 06:12 PM   #1032
diyAudio Member

Start around 1/2 of Sd or a 2:1 compression ratio. Multiple segments will help you design a flatter response.
Old 7th April 2010, 06:57 PM   #1033
diyAudio Member

Thanks BP. I will do that and see were it goes. I just found out I can get all the wood I need for these for free.....I like free!

Last edited by djn; 7th April 2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 8th April 2010, 06:46 AM   #1034
diyAudio Member

Default Bug Fix

Hi Everyone,

Quote:
Originally Posted by brsanko View Post
To enter L12 just click on it till it says Con or Exp then enter the length.
Further to brsanko's comment above, it was originally possible to toggle between Con and Exp in Hornresp by double-clicking on the length input box label, even when the input box contained a zero. During recent checking I discovered that this functionality has not worked correctly since the program was converted from 16-bit to 32-bit operation - back at Version 20.00. The problem has now been fixed in Product Number 2630-100408.

Note that a non-zero length value is still required for the selected flare type to be permanently retained.

My apologies for any inconvenience or confusion caused by this bug (which managed to "slip under the radar" for quite some time).

Kind regards,

David
Old 8th April 2010, 07:08 AM   #1035
diyAudio Member

David,

Thanks again for such a wonderful product. A couple of questions:

1) What exactly is happening "under the hood" in hornresp when you run a calculation with the Multiple Speakers wizard? It seems to be recalculating based on the new resistance and inductance. But does Hornresp take into consideration the increased physical dimensions associated with multiple speakers, i.e. a larger combined mouth? Does it assume they're stacked vertically, horizontally, etc?

2) In another thread, I recall asking you if you had any plans to make Hornresp more "network aware" in terms of being able to add components into the tuned circuits that comprise the network between amplifier and driver(s) - at the time you said no. But after modeling Tapped Horns for a few weeks, I'm increasingly seeing a need to model in this way, even if there were only the option to insert a single component with RLC values into the network at a given point. Are you able to accommodate this functionality in any way in the future?
Old 8th April 2010, 08:26 AM   #1036
diyAudio Member

Hi letsbangout,

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsbangout View Post
What exactly is happening "under the hood" in hornresp when you run a calculation with the Multiple Speakers wizard? It seems to be recalculating based on the new resistance and inductance. But does Hornresp take into consideration the increased physical dimensions associated with multiple speakers, i.e. a larger combined mouth? Does it assume they're stacked vertically, horizontally, etc?
The increased physical dimensions associated with multiple speakers are taken into account by Hornresp. The "larger combined mouth" is assumed to be circular - for this reason the program does not need to know how the speakers are stacked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsbangout View Post
In another thread, I recall asking you if you had any plans to make Hornresp more "network aware" in terms of being able to add components into the tuned circuits that comprise the network between amplifier and driver(s) - at the time you said no. But after modeling Tapped Horns for a few weeks, I'm increasingly seeing a need to model in this way, even if there were only the option to insert a single component with RLC values into the network at a given point. Are you able to accommodate this functionality in any way in the future?
Sorry, but I still have no plans to make Hornresp more "network aware". It is however always possible to export a script to AkAbak, and then add in external components as required.

Kind regards,

David
Old 8th April 2010, 01:46 PM   #1037
diyAudio Member

Hi David, thank you for doing all this. I know it is a lot of work and you've done a great job. The other night, I was working in the program and somehow I clicked on one of the boxes and a seperate box came up that allowed me to pick what flare I wanted. I think there were 6 or 7 to chose from. In the past I click on the third box over (don't have the program up at the moment) and hit "T" from tractrix. Since then, I've not been able to find that new window with all the types of flares listed. Where is that???

To anyone, what is the lowest hz front loaded straight non-round horn anyone has modeled and built? I would like to be below 100hz and just can't get my head around how to inturpret the HornResp modeling data. Cheers.

Last edited by djn; 8th April 2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 8th April 2010, 02:51 PM   #1038
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McBean View Post
Sorry, but I still have no plans to make Hornresp more "network aware". It is however always possible to export a script to AkAbak, and then add in external components as required.

Kind regards,

David
That's perfect, thanks!
Old 8th April 2010, 07:56 PM   #1039
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djn View Post
Thanks BP. I will do that and see were it goes. I just found out I can get all the wood I need for these for free.....I like free!
No problem guy! I like FREE too...my last name is FREEman
Old 8th April 2010, 08:06 PM   #1040
diyAudio Member

It's funny: the bass horns will be the biggest component of my system only to cover from 100hz to 400hz. Seems like a waste...but a good one.

Hide this!Advertise here!