Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2008, 09:10 PM   #1
cassb is offline cassb  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Default Can you help me choose a DIY woofer project?

I just finished building 4 of Ed Frias' "AR.com" bookshelf speakers. With only 6.5" mids, they need a subwoofer to fill out the bass range.

So I have no clue where to start, how much it will cost, what 'level' of quality I need, etc. Like, is this a good deal for $550 including shipping?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...00-742&scqty=1

I'll use this 4.1 system mostly for music and playing my keyboard and computer sounds through, so I'm interested in fidelity over loudness. Maybe even a 10" sub would work for me? What do you think?
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2008, 03:30 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
Jim Shearer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
That PE sub is probably more than enough for your purpose, assuming a moderate size room and just wanting to fill in the bottom end for music. If you have a large room, want the sub to make the windows bulge in & out, or get infrasonic sound effects for movies, then bigger is better.

For music (as I listen to it--mix of classical, oldies, jazz, pop) in rooms about 14x16', I find my 10" subs sufficient. Note that I regard an 85 dB listening level as loud, and 100 dB peaks as _very_ loud, and wouldn't tolerate any more. YMMV

Cheers, Jim
__________________
A day without music is like a day without food.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2008, 12:19 AM   #3
Thawach is offline Thawach  Thailand
diyAudio Member
 
Thawach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Shearer you're right. cassb you shoud know about your room before you build a subwoofer. how many is it long and wide.
sometime you want a big subwoofer for low freguency. but you may not get it with your small room. and it may be standing wave
too much.

  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2008, 01:14 AM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
MashBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kansas, USA
This is a great sub for the money.
AV123 X-Sub
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2008, 03:26 AM   #5
Mikey p is offline Mikey p  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Sask. Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by MashBill
This is a great sub for the money.
AV123 X-Sub
A 8 inch woofer with a 150 watt amp is not a subwoofer.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2008, 05:44 AM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default Caution...

Hello, If the keyboard you are referring to is a musical instrument, exercise caution when playing at high volume levels, as most home hifi speakers cannot deal with the uncompressed dynamics of musical instruments or live vocals without sustaining damage. You may want to protect your speakers in some way(limiters/circuit interrupters).
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2008, 09:05 PM   #7
cassb is offline cassb  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Default Re: Caution...

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shearer
That PE sub is probably more than enough for your purpose, assuming a moderate size room and just wanting to fill in the bottom end for music. If you have a large room, want the sub to make the windows bulge in & out, or get infrasonic sound effects for movies, then bigger is better.

For music (as I listen to it--mix of classical, oldies, jazz, pop) in rooms about 14x16', I find my 10" subs sufficient. Note that I regard an 85 dB listening level as loud, and 100 dB peaks as _very_ loud, and wouldn't tolerate any more. YMMV

Cheers, Jim
Thanks, Jim! I listen to the same kind of music you do. I am leaning toward a 10" sub too, I think. My room is about 14'x18' with hard floor and walls, so it's pretty "live" I think. Here's the PartsExpress one that I think I'll get when they go on sale (in Jan they were $300 with shipping!):

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...00-760&scqty=1

I don't know if I need the "Titanic" line, or just Dayton's "Reference Series HF", which is about $35 cheaper. But for $300 or under, this setup seems like a pretty good deal with the 240W plate amp.

Quote:
Originally posted by discreteouts
Hello, If the keyboard you are referring to is a musical instrument, exercise caution when playing at high volume levels, as most home hifi speakers cannot deal with the uncompressed dynamics of musical instruments or live vocals without sustaining damage. You may want to protect your speakers in some way(limiters/circuit interrupters).
Yes, the keyboard is a Yamaha S90-ES, and I found out what you mean already. I played the keyboard through just one channel into one of the bookshelf speakers... couldn't hear it real well so I turn it up -- when I played a couple low octave notes, I heard the woofer really distort. I guess it was bottoming out. So I didn't do THAT again. I wonder how you can compress the keyboard line output so it doesn't do that... do you know?

Thanks!
Bryan
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2008, 09:05 PM   #8
cassb is offline cassb  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally posted by Thawach
Shearer you're right. cassb you shoud know about your room before you build a subwoofer. how many is it long and wide.
sometime you want a big subwoofer for low freguency. but you may not get it with your small room. and it may be standing wave
too much.


Speaking of standing waves... I got a freeware program called "Room EQ Wizard" which I have been playing with for a couple days. I have no idea what to do with it, but it looks interesting and I'm eager to learn how to tweak my room and speakers to get excellent "live" sound.
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 12:55 PM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
Jim Shearer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Byran,

That sub uses the same 240 watt plate amp that I put onto an older Visonic 10" passive sub. Not sure I need that much power, but it has some nice protection features which seem worthwhile. I've been very happy w/ it.

Cheers, Jim
__________________
A day without music is like a day without food.
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 01:36 PM   #10
cassb is offline cassb  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Jim, did yours have the "bass boost" feature? I have no idea if that's a good thing or not to have. Dayton sells this same 240w amp with and without bass boost for the same price.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trying to choose a project... isaacc7 Tubes / Valves 8 7th August 2010 01:15 PM
Help Me Choose project Please! sifis_samos Multi-Way 44 4th August 2009 03:51 PM
help me choose my first amp project stonedfenix Solid State 14 12th September 2006 02:37 PM
Best way to choose a new woofer? Dave W. Multi-Way 0 12th April 2005 10:58 PM
Help me choose first project greg7 Solid State 9 29th April 2003 02:01 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:52 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2