Rhythmik front firing sub plans - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2008, 07:40 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Rhythmik front firing sub plans

Hello all.

I am looking to make dual rhythmik DS12's for my rig. I would like them to be front firing and have not found any plans on this site or the web.

If anyone has measurements for the enclosure I would appreciate it. I have access to a tablesaw with a fence but would just like to measure and cut. I really wish he would put front firing plans on his site for newbs like me.

Also, has anyone lined their enclosures with any dampening products?

I'm going to make these out of void free 3/4" plywood.

Thanks

~DS
Old 23rd March 2008, 08:29 PM   #2
Naudio is offline Naudio  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/DS12driver.html

the perimeters for the driver is here, i think this is the one you mean?

just run some box plots for sealed/vented, this will give u the size of the enclosure, and the length/ diameter of the ports (if needed)

i can give u a few plots if u like, do u want a flat response, or a low tuning, i think flat to 30hz looks obtainable at first glance, or u could lose some output and tune it lower
Old 23rd March 2008, 08:54 PM   #3
Naudio is offline Naudio  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

i made a simple design, but u may have to make some trade offs if its to large

each driver needs the following

4 cubic foot box

10cm diameter port 40cm long for a tuning of 20hz
10cm diameter port 30cm long for a tuning of 23hz

bass will be flat to 30hz and -3db point is at 20hz, don't forget 2 use a filter below 20hz
Old 24th March 2008, 04:50 PM   #4
taloyd is offline taloyd  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Rythmik kits

Hello,

If you're talking about purchasing a subwoofer KIT from Rythmik, than box size isn't as big a deal, as the servo will "equalize" for flat response to 12 Hz regardless of box size, although a larger box will require less power and thus reduce thermal compression, although that is negated due to the aforementioned servo, in which case the CORRECT box size serves as a protection from overexcursion due to limiting the amps ability to bottom out the driver by requiring more power than the amp can deliver to bottom the driver - thus protecting it.

I would unconditionally state that a subwoofer KIT (as opposed to just the driver) from Rythmik would outperform anything you could put together.

My recommendation would be to get the kit. I have the 15", and as high as my expectations were, they were surpassed. A 12" should be the exact same with slightly less maximum output capability.

For the front-firing, I'd imagine you could just take the plans he has, and rotate the entire thing, and put the legs at the bottom. At the wavelengths involved, the subwoofer does not mind any minor difference in box dimensions, shape, etc. You just want to make sure there's a few inches from the driver to the nearest wall, and from any vent to the nearest surface.

Hope this helps,
-Tal
Old 27th March 2008, 07:53 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys.

Yes, I want to build the sealed 12".
Old 27th March 2008, 07:32 PM   #6
mace is offline mace  United States
diyAudio Member

2.4f^3 should work just fine.
18"x18"x17" using .75" material will give you 2.44f^3. I would recommend you either double up your material or build the box a little larger to account for much needed bracing if you go with just the .75" material. Something around 18.75"x18.75"x19".
If you double up your material, something around 18.50"x18.50"x19"
Old 28th March 2008, 06:47 AM   #7
Bluto is offline Bluto  United States
diyAudio Member

Deansheen -

I'm a bit surprised myself at just the few designs they show at an otherwise good site. They do , however, have a notation that says they will help with design.

I'd call them and express your needs.

Bluto
Old 1st April 2008, 11:57 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default :)

"I would unconditionally state that a subwoofer KIT (as opposed to just the driver) from Rythmik would outperform anything you could put together. "

that's a bold/broad statement. i have a "single 15 driver" home built sub that would make for an interesting contest.

i can't take credit for the design (http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/THT.html) i looked at Rhythmic before building the THT (i first built the TT) the idea of servo=less distortion is attractive, but the low distortion of the horn made the 'delta' less significant based on my research (vs coming from a ported sub) so what i had was clean enough. i just waned more efficiency. and you can't argue with the efficiency of what i linked to above.

since i had the amp and EQ (QSC RMX and DEQ2496) i built the whole sub for pretty cheap (driver $160, tho there's an 'approved one for $70; $100 for wood (good birch ply) and adhesives and brads)

"I would unconditionally state that a subwoofer KIT (as opposed to just the driver) from Rythmik would outperform anything you could put together. " <giggle>
Old 2nd April 2008, 04:05 PM   #9
Bluto is offline Bluto  United States
diyAudio Member

Bill's stuff is 'par excellance' and tough to beat if you have the space. That's not your average Living Room.

Rythmic nothin to sneeze at. Beats 90 + % out there IMHO.

'Space limited'? AE's 15" IB at their deal price of $100 per driver . No one makes a driver of that quality at that price level. At 3 times that price level , matter of fact. These guys work for a living. I personally think IB sound most natural.

Bluto
Old 2nd April 2008, 05:13 PM   #10
taloyd is offline taloyd  United States
diyAudio Member

Default disclaimer!

Alright, what I should of added is, "constrained to a "practical" sized box" Rythmik are pretty impressive.

Fitzmaurice's tradeoff is to use a horn, which ups the efficiency which drops the excursion which drops the distortion, ALTHOUGH the driver used (no criticism, just a different compromise chosen) is much higher distortion, which makes sense given the acoustic advantage of the horn, and the very conservative budget used in his designs.

For price/performance, Fitzmaurice's designs are probably unbeatable on the market. Ignoring price, and limited to a relatively small box size, the extension/speed/distortion of a well-engineered servo subwoofer is very difficult to beat, apples to apples.

An array of subwoofers in an IB (a la the manifold into the attic) is pretty unbeatable compared to anything, as it completely eliminates thermal compression, box Q resonance, and a host of other problems.

But for a simple and quick solution which is still in the highest echelons of performance, I would unhesitatingly recommend Rythmik. That's all...

Hope this is more grounded than before!

cheers,
-Tal

Hide this!Advertise here!