Surprising Output from a "budget" project - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th March 2008, 05:12 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to musgofasa
Default Surprising Output from a "budget" project

Hi Guys,

I put a subwoofer together with only two intentions. First I wanted a stealth box. We didn't have a fireplace in this room, but we wanted one. Luckily, my buddy found an electric fireplace that has a great looking "fake" flame. From 10ft away, you would never know it wasn't a real fire. This thing cost us $79 with the wood frame. My wife and I came up with the idea of making a hearth for it out of the subwoofer cabinet.

Now I am working on getting rid of the wooden casing and building a custom fireplace using the same ceramic tiles. On top of this will be our 50" TV (right now it is sitting on the fireplace). I am also building the whole wall in as equipment rack and bookshelves, but for now I am enjoying listening to this thing.

The subs are $49 pioneer 15" and the amp was the Dayton $59 (75W?) plate amp that was on sale a while back.

I really wasn't expecting much from this. It is a sealed enclosure that is down-firing and I cut a vent in the front for sound to get out from. I ran the numbers through WINISD and it modeled OK as a 4th order band pass, but I underestimated the idea of it coupling to the floor.

All that said, this thing rocks! We watched a couple movies and listened to a lot of music over the weekend. For only $250 or $300 (including the ceramic tiles and grout etc) this thing is shaking the house down. We watched War of the Worlds and 300 this weekend and it absolutely gets off even down low with WOW. I couldn't be happier. I kept thinking I would have to redo all of this and build something far better, but I may not have to do that after all! lol

Take care,
Robert

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 17th March 2008, 05:13 PM   #2
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice work
Old 17th March 2008, 05:24 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks,

I have some build pics I will post when I get the wall started too.

take care,
Robert
Old 17th March 2008, 06:18 PM   #4
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

That has got to be one of the most creative ways to hide a subwoofer box that I've ever seen!

Snazzy.
Old 17th March 2008, 06:31 PM   #5
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Very nice, reminiscent of the false stage subs used in many higher end front projection DIY HTs and you're right, high mass/floor loading the LFE channel is where it's at HT IMO.

GM
Old 18th March 2008, 11:48 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GM
Very nice, reminiscent of the false stage subs used in many higher end front projection DIY HTs and you're right, high mass/floor loading the LFE channel is where it's at HT IMO.

GM

LOL
Thanks for the compliments.

"High Mass" you say? It took 3 grown men to move this thing the 3 feet from where we finished it to where it sits now. I hope I never blow a speaker in it! I am guessing it weighs a good 400 lbs! I have to admit, it is one of the cleanest sounding subs I have ever had. I sort of wish I had spent the money on better equipment, but it sounds so good, I can't feel too bad. I am going to build the wall in around it all the way to the ceiling so it will really look like a custom HT when I am done. In the process I intend to make the pieces on top of the sub so that I can take them down and get to it just in case I either blow one or in case I decide to go back and put some real power and heavier drivers in it.

Watched "Harry Potter" last night with the new seats in the room. Man this thing transfers sound through the floor and right up your spine.

I am sure "proud pappa syndrome" will wear off eventually and I will want to mess with it, but I am one happy camper for now.

Take care,
Robert

Oh, for the record, my wife had as much to do with the design and construction as I did. I love her!
Old 18th March 2008, 05:12 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,

Here are a few more pics of the current set up. I am going to rebuild the whole front wall to flush the TV and redo the fireplace. This should also add some color to the room since it is rather monochromatic right now. I am going to add shelves at both ends for lots of reasons.

Take care,
Robert

She really likes to watch reruns of "Benji!" lol
Old 19th March 2008, 06:47 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Is this the sub you used??

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=290-175
Old 19th March 2008, 11:34 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Yep,

That's it.

I was listening to it last night with some music and they aren't very fast, but the sub wasn't built for music. It works pretty awesome for HT though.

Take care,
Robert
Old 19th March 2008, 02:33 PM   #10
Mikey p is offline Mikey p  Canada
diyAudio Member

Very interesting and well done sub woofer, Robert. What is the net volume of the cabinet?

Hide this!Advertise here!