Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th November 2001, 10:31 PM   #1
JoeBob is offline JoeBob  Canada
diyAudio Member

Alright, my next speaker project comming up for this christmas will be a subwoofer. I'm pretty sure I'll be using one of the adire drivers, the question is which one. I heard the Maelstrom will produce "looser" bass due to it's size, but it's damn big and I like that, as well as it's 1kw power handling. My main speakers have two 15" each so, just for looks sake 18" would be great. Or would I be better off with two Tempests? I'd prefer not to go the route of the shiva, because it's a little small. The specs for the adire drivers say as low as 16Hz and as close to that the better, but anywhere blelow 20Hz would be fine with me. Thanks for any advice you give me.
Old 19th November 2001, 12:27 AM   #2
Super is offline Super  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Super
Considering your mains have dual 15 inch drivers, your reason for needing a subwoofer is beyond my logic

Just out of curiosity, what frequency range do your mains reproduce? If they already extend down to sub-20 hz range, I'd go with the Maelstrom, as long as you have the amp to power. It sounds as though you don't need to emphasize much other than those DEEP notes. A fifth 15 inch driver doesn't seem to have much of a purpose in your setup, so I'd go for the 18 incher. Will it be the tightest bass you've ever heard? Probably not, but you're not going to get many notes that extend that low anyways, and the Maelstrom sure has the SPL capabilities to let you know when they're there.
Old 20th November 2001, 02:35 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Super

Just out of curiosity, what frequency range do your mains reproduce? If they already extend down to sub-20 hz range, I'd go with the Maelstrom...
In my correspondence with Dan W. he confirmed my software modeling of Tempest vs. Maelstrom: the Maelstrom will not play as deep as the tempest.

Click the image to open in full size.

JoeBob: So let us know the answer to the freq'range question; and also, are your 15's currently sealed? or ported? ... do you know the Fb?

Old 20th November 2001, 07:30 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

My main's are ported and do not go down to sub-20, just the mid 20s. As for the Fb, that is the tuning frequency of the ported box is it not? If that's what the Fb is, it's 30Hz.

As for your plots for the mealstrom vs the tempest, is that with the same volume encloseure? And the Tempest still delivers lower frequencies? I wouldn't of thought...
Old 27th November 2001, 02:31 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeBob
My main's are ported and do not go down to sub-20, just the mid 20s. As for the Fb, that is the tuning frequency of the ported box is it not? If that's what the Fb is, it's 30Hz.
that's pretty low already, tempest or shivas over maelstrom.

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeBob
As for your plots for the mealstrom vs the tempest, is that with the same volume encloseure? And the Tempest still delivers lower frequencies? I wouldn't of thought...
no- diff'rent sized boxen (don't remember the size(s)) i let the software pick for lowest/flattest response. but just as Dan said, the mael is made for loud over deep.

sounds like you need deep.

check this out: http://www.adireaudio.com/Tech%20Pap...mpest_apps.htm
Old 28th November 2001, 12:45 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks alot, I guess tempest it is then. Too bad the mealstrom isn't as low, having an 18" would have a "cool factor", but I'd rather have deeper base then have it be "cool", thanks for all the help.

Hide this!Advertise here!