peerless xxls sealed -vs- peerless xls with passive radiator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi i currently have two 12" subs in 1.5 cubic foot sealed boxes, i built these about 5 years ago, but now from there constant punishing the surrounds (being a type of foam) are dieing

i am looking to upgrade them and get a better in room response than i currently have, as they currently roll off at about 40hz

i am thinking of using a peerless xxls, which is said to be 12db down at 20hz

will corner placement bring these flat to 20hz if correctly placed?

if not the other option is to go for a peerless xls with a 290g matching passive radiator

will there be any problems with over excursion of the passive radiator at lower frequency's?

i currently have to simulated designs, the one without the passive radiator is about a £100 cheaper

any ideas on which design i should use? i listen to a lot of music that contains strong 30hz bass and i need to feel it (dubstep)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

any comments of advice would be welcome, thanks

i would only use a passive radiatior, if i had a subsonic filter for below 20 hz or so.

corner placement just adds the same boost at all frequencies and is said to excite the most room modes. room gain should give you a frequency dependant boost, but i would not count on this, as it is really different for different rooms.

from my own experience with subs, i would go for something bigger than just one 12inch in a closed or br box for this specific taste in music. for me, the best thing for deep electronic bassnotes are tapped horns, since one can really feel the deep waves putting pressure in the room, which is kind of cool with electronic music and movies. again, with this design, a subsonic filter is important.

following pages show information on how to do tapped horns:

http://www.volvotreter.de/th.htm
http://www.cowanaudio.com/

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.