Various Subwoofer Questions - Thanks - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st March 2008, 01:40 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Various Subwoofer Questions - Thanks

HI

All comments below are for music, not HT.

I am finishing up a line array of Foutek Neopro5i's and Seas 7" Mag mids. They are sealed and I expect to get a rolloff less than 100Hz.

My problem is finding space for the subwoofers.

At, say 80 Hz and below, is there really any stereo effect?
I know the traditional rule is there is no localization and therefor no stereo effect below 100Hz but does anyone have actual experience directly comparing subs that were seperated and spatially aligned with the mains vs subs located out of the plane, not equidistant, etc

Some people really seem to advocate placing subs in plane with mains just like a traditional speaker arrangement. Is there any real advantage?

I know dual subs will help load the room more evenly but that seems to be the real advantage of sub-100Hz stereo subs.

What about putting the subs behind a curtain (a typical velvet type window curtain material). I assume the sub-100Hz sound waves are so long and penetrating that the sound quality shouldn't be affected, right?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 1st March 2008, 05:44 PM   #2
owdi is offline owdi  United States
diyAudio Member

I believe the primary benefit of stereo subwoofers is the mains can do a better job masking the subwoofer's harmonic distortion.

Assuming a square room where the listener is in the middle, and subwoofers are on the floor against the wall.......

If you have only one subwoofer, the best location for smooth integration with your mains is between your mains. The best place for the most bass is in a corner.

If you have two subwoofers, the best location for smooth integration is as a stereo set with your mains. The best place for the most bass is again, in a corner. The best place for smoothest system response is one in front between your mains, and one behind you.

There's a great article on the web about ideal placement of multiple subwoofers in a small room, but I can't seem to find it right now.

In my experience, if I cannot see the subwoofer, or feel it's vibrations, it integrates very well.

Dan

Hide this!Advertise here!