Adire Shivas - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th November 2001, 03:04 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Thunderbird
I'm looking to buy 2 adire shivas for my car. They were recommended to me by a friend that said a lot of competitors use them in db drags. Everything i have been reading about the subs are related to home theater however. If i do go ahead and buy these, do i need a ported box for them, and if so, what should it be tuned to? I'm probably going to by a Sony class-d amp to power both for now, but i will buy another amp when i have enough money. if anyone can help, please reply to this post and thanks. The link to the amp and subs are below.

amp - http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/SONXM3001SXD
subs - http://www.adireaudio.com/cd/shiva.htm
Old 18th November 2001, 06:19 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Email Dan Wiggins or David Hyre at Adire. Both the Tempest and Shiva have been very successful in some of the bigger car 'meets'. They'll be glad to give you the details
Old 18th November 2001, 07:35 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Look here...

In addition to contacting Dan @ Adire, for some 'user' feedback, go here: http://www.soundillusions.net

this board saw the adire products get popular by users doing well in comps (one his 150.xx outlaw db's with only 500 w RMS)

as far as porting vs. sealed- the AdireAudio.com website has a LOT of info on how to configure their drivers for specific use.

If you're going to compete in dbdrag, et al, you'll likely end up porting the sub(s) just below you car's transfer f(x) freq. (ie: cabin gain point) b/c it'll reinforce the program material at that point.

DigitalDesigns has done a lot of work on porting VERY big boxes at pretty high freqs (40 - 55hz)- it produces a lot of sound (albeit at 'one note')

do some searches there on "cabin gain" and "transfer function" and read- most of those q's have been asked and answered. Also, search for those users who run Shivas and tempests there are at least 1/2 doz. who'll be on there every day.

Personally- try to figure a box that has 2 ports- so that one of 'em would be plugged for daily use (with a proper/low porting freq) and when their both opened/unplugged, you're up to your specific "competition" frequency. If not, you'll likely tire of the monotone bass.

Adire products put out great SQ, don't waste it just for the sake of DBs. With port pluggin/unplugging, you can have your cake and eat it too.
Old 18th November 2001, 06:02 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

okay ive been reading about the shivas, and people say that you can put more watts through one without having it bottom out if you put it in a sealed enclosure. how does this work? also, i definetely WILL NOT COMPETE with my sound system. i want it for personal enjoyment only. therefore, i need accurate deep bass. should i still go with the ported box?
Old 18th November 2001, 08:09 PM   #5
Super is offline Super  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Super
Just a general note, but most bass drivers will have higher power handling when placed in a sealed enclosure.

Personally, I would recommend the use of a sealed enclosure, space permitting. The bass will be tighter, and you will likely have usable output below 20hz, especially when factoring in cabin gain and the fact that you are using dual drivers. As mentioned earlier, a ported enclosure may result in "one note" bass, which can get particularly irritating.
Old 18th November 2001, 08:14 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Thunderbird
okay ive been reading about the shivas, and people say that you can put more watts through one without having it bottom out if you put it in a sealed enclosure.
yes and no. sealed boxs can increase the powerhandling of a sub- mechanically- ie: they can keep it from bottoming out at the lower end of the spectrum- but they cannot keep the VoiceCoil from frying if too many electrons are pass through it. There's a big difference.

Sealed box design, allows for smaller boxes and usually a very smooth response graph; esp in cars. You see, as the 'reference' plot 'drops', the car's cabin gain makes up the difference. Low ported boxes can produce an overabundance of very low bass in cars.

Quote:

how does this work?
read this page: http://216.150.71.139/audioinnovation/theories.html for a buncha good info.

Quote:

also, i definetely WILL NOT COMPETE with my sound system. i want it for personal enjoyment only. therefore, i need accurate deep bass. should i still go with the ported box?
go sealed- in car, you jaw will drop at the lowend power and accuracy.

(and you'll have more trunk space left over)
Old 18th November 2001, 09:28 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default amp?

how about my amp? do you think it will be adequate to power both subs in a sealed enclosure until i get another one? also, anyone have any idea what volume the sealed box should be? the link to the amp is in the first post. thanks
Old 18th November 2001, 10:00 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Re: amp?

Quote:
also, anyone have any idea what volume the sealed box should be?
see the adire site- they've done a lot of work on the subject- they're the ones to ask (or 'read' their PDF files, first)

Quote:
how about my amp? do you think it will be adequate to power both subs in a sealed enclosure until i get another one?
I'm not crazy of Sony car amps (personal opinion of course, but i prefer less flash and more go- like Zapco or PPI PC models)... but $0.50/watt is hard to beat.

but based on the numbers (600 x 1 at 2 ohms) that'd give each 300 watts- plenty for inside your car for casual listening.
Old 18th November 2001, 11:44 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

the amp i can get on ebay for 230, shipped
Old 19th November 2001, 12:38 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to baby_huey0
Well I always say go big or go home so if you have the dough go for Rockford-Fosgate amps. Pop a RF Power 1000.1 on each Tempest and watch the SPLs climb. Some more informed car audio enthusiasts will probably be able to recommend something else, but as fas as I know RF is a good way to go.

PS..Never mind me...if this is useless info then I will go crawl back into my hole...I blame school...yes...thats it...

[Edited by baby_huey0 on 11-18-2001 at 07:41 PM]

Hide this!Advertise here!