Bought a sub from ebay - arrived damaged. Now what? *pics*

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, I bought this at the weekend, but it didn't arrive until today.

Pics:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The speaker binding posts don't look too good:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Now, I haven't contacted the seller yet, but do you think it is fixable or would it be better just to return it and be done with it?:smash:

Well, the e-bay listing claimed the item was "new" as opposed to used...

The only other thing he has listed is some car amp ("Fury" is the brand)... So I don't think he'll be able to offer a replacement, only a refund. It seems it's a private seller (not a ebay shop with loads of stock).

Here's the pic from e-bay:

I haven't a clue if it was damaged or not before shipping, but it seems that this shouldn't have really been damaged during delivery. It came in the JBL box & polystyrene, so unless DHL decided to have a game of football with it then I think that it may have been damaged before it was went.

Also, does anyone know if DHL deliveries are insured automatically or is it an optional extra?

I would complain to the seller and try to get a refund. First you can use the contact form to make a private and polite complaint. If it does not work, do a formal complaint through eBay (start a dispute).

I hope that you don't have paid much for this stamped-frame plastic cone subwoofer. I would only consider repairing it myself if I had got it for very cheap.

Was it in the correct box with all the original packaging ??

If so, was there damage to the box ??

Is the damage to the speaker consistent with any damage to the box?

If there is no damage to the box or it is inconsistent with the damage to the speaker, then the seller knowingly sent damaged goods.

In any case, email the seller stating the damage.
If no joy, start a claim with Ebay and Paypal. (Reason - Not as described)

Do not destroy any packaging or attempt any repair. Courier deliveries are insured if the value/contents are accurately described and the goods are adequately packed, which is where you could come unstuck.

Good luck.
Andy

DHL is the "McDonalds" of package delivery. They share the same colors and quality of service.:smash:

If either an insurance claim with DHL or a request for some kind of refund from the seller doesn't work out, some fresh CA will hold that together nicely. It looks like a clean break with plenty of surface area for the CA to work it's magic on.

"...Is the damage to the speaker consistent with any damage to the box? "

The broken part is made of plastic but appears to be quite thick . Breaking that would take considerable force . If the shipping damaged it , the packing in the area around the terminals would also have been badly damaged. If the surrounding area and the box is not damaged, then it would be probably impossible to break that part by just violently shaking the box . The thermocole in any case indicates that the driver cannot shake around loosely inside the box.
This means you have been sent a dud ! If you paid "very little" for it then keep it and try repairing it . But if the price is " not a pittance " then you should send a "polite complaint" immediately with pictures . See where that will go. Ask for a refund straight away stating that it appears that the shipping case and packaging was intact though the device was broken.
Start "politely" !

Edit: Make sure that if you ship it back and get a refund , the shipping cost to you will be very low ! If it's compareable to what you get back as a refund then it's pointless to send it back .

Eva said:
I would complain to the seller and try to get a refund. First you can use the contact form to make a private and polite complaint. If it does not work, do a formal complaint through eBay (start a dispute).

I hope that you don't have paid much for this stamped-frame plastic cone subwoofer. I would only consider repairing it myself if I had got it for very cheap.
I didn't pay too much, I hope. I payed around £25 including delivery which isn't too bad as they are around £60 new here in the UK. I know this isn't an amazing quality unit, I main reason got it as it works well with a horn design I plan to build (AutoTuba)... :) I guess I can consider myself lucky that this isn't a sub worth many times as much.

I'll send the seller a message thru the contact form and see what he has to say...
poynton said:
Was it in the correct box with all the original packaging ??

If so, was there damage to the box ??

Is the damage to the speaker consistent with any damage to the box?

If there is no damage to the box or it is inconsistent with the damage to the speaker, then the seller knowingly sent damaged goods.

In any case, email the seller stating the damage.
If no joy, start a claim with Ebay and Paypal. (Reason - Not as described)

Do not destroy any packaging or attempt any repair. Courier deliveries are insured if the value/contents are accurately described and the goods are adequately packed, which is where you could come unstuck.

Good luck.
Andy
Thanks. It was shipped in the original JBL box and all the polystyrene inside. The box was wrapped in a bin liner and gaffer tape.... The box does look a little bashed around, but it's still box shaped and there were no holes in the bin liner. I'll grab a photo of the box when I get home from work... Half of me think he shipped it already damaged and the other half thinks DHL may be responsible...

I won't try repairing right now.... That will be a last resort I guess.
theAnonymous1 said:
DHL is the "McDonalds" of package delivery. They share the same colors and quality of service.:smash:

If either an insurance claim with DHL or a request for some kind of refund from the seller doesn't work out, some fresh CA will hold that together nicely. It looks like a clean break with plenty of surface area for the CA to work it's magic on.
What's CA? Some sort of plastic glue or cement? :smash:

Another option that I have used before is to ask for a partial refund based on the devaluation caused by the damage.

The seller then does not have to refund the full amount, you don't have to package and re-send and you are compensated for your loss. You can start this process informally or bring it up as part of a Paypal dispute.

I successfully managed this when a Muppet sent me a pair of Tannoy Reveals. Each speaker cabinet was contained in a tight fitting cardboard box with (literally) nothing else! Anyway, I kept the damaged goods and repaired them and the seller gave me a partial refund that I was happy with.

All the best,

The first thing I would do is to check the sellers feedback history. If it is good, the seller will wish to keep it that way.

I would negotiate with the seller as to what the best thing is to do.

With a liitle luck, you might come to some agreement as to some return of your money, and you have an inexpensive purchase.

Keep in mind that returning the speaker does neither you or the seller any good. The seller is faced with an additional shipping costs. Most ebay sellers value their feedback rating. Use this your advantage.

If your seller will not cooperate, complain to ebay, give him he bad rating, and take your lumps. You will find that of

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.