Who makes the lowest distortion pro-sound subwoofers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: EXCELLANT PRO SUBS

Hi and welcome to the forums! :wave2:

About your caps lock key...

- username: caps,
- post title: caps,
- post text: caps,
- profile details: all caps!

This is way cool! Writing all uppercase is usually considered impolite and provoking. But you're just consistent. :D

How about all lower case instead? ;)

ACCUPROAV said:
BAG END MAKES COMMERCIAL SUBS FOR NIGHT CLUBS, AUDITORIUMS . THEY HAVE A SYSTEM ELECTRONICS AND SPEAKERS THAT GO DOWN TO 8 HZ.

The Bag End 8Hz systems are electronically equalized systems incorporating a function they call dual integration. This is comparable to the Linkwitz Transform discussion we already had above. But it serves as an example and thus as supportive to my argument and simulation. ;)

Please note that Bag End make it a point to not mention actual SPL figures even for their highest power 4x18" system.

Thanks,
Sebastian.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Finally decided on the new BMS 18N860
B&C 18PS100, Beymas and PD186(PrecisionDevices) have been considered too, but the new BMS appears to have the better technology at the moment
It will suit my 180-200 liter closed matrix box perfectly
Some nice features like neo magnet combined with triple shortrings and carbone cone and not to forget the big Xmax well suited fore Eq
Probably expencive yes, but surely not many of those around and its kind of versatile as it will suit(hopefully) both a high power classic 3way with a mid/tweet like the B&C 8PE21/DE500 with lowish xo point, or used solely as subs in a 90db+ system
At tleast thats how things are at the moment
:)

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I am evaluating my thoughts about the 95db BMS 18N860 and reconsidering one of my first choices, namely the new 100db Beyma 18P80ND
It will cost half of the BMS, and probably have better mids and distortion seems quite low
I suppose its too new fore anyone to have any experience with it

My thoughts are that the relative high Qts of the BMS could be problematic with its relative heavy and big cone ... sure, it makes it go lower, but at what cost
The Beymas 100db means that it will have the same SPL at low frequency and proably better possible BSC
No doubt the risk of boominess will be less with the Beyma

Any thoughts?

The Beymas distortion measurement is taken at 1W while the BMS is measured at 1000W. The BMS has triple aluminium demodulating rings, while the Beyma has nothing to prevent distortion at higher levels. It has a reason why Beyma doesnt measure at 1000W. The BMS has definitely the superior technology, but the Beyma is cheaper.

Besides, complex things like boominess depend on the whole system of driver, enclosure and room. Looking at the driver alone doesnt say much.

I own Beyma 12P1000ND and i regret buying them and not BMS, because they distort more than i like even before reaching xmax.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
All true
Maybe a 12" is under stress and a bit small fore your needs
but until now noone has yet heard the BMS 18N860
maybe some have experience with other 18N models, they have triple shortrings too?

btw, the distortion at high SPL may also come from cone flex...it may need coating

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
MaVo said:

I own Beyma 12P1000ND and i regret buying them and not BMS, because they distort more than i like even before reaching xmax.

Thanks fore making me think twice...I have now returned to my first choice, the BMS 18N860, which I hope will play with an AE 10" mid or B&C 8PE21, and a 18Sound NSD1095N...looks like this will drain my pockets completely

BMS 18N860

Hi Everyone,

First post on this forum - it's a great site.

I'm trying to find a place to purchase a BMS 18N860 but i'm not having much luck. Online would proably suit me best, but i have a friend in New York, and in London that could pick one up for me and bring it to Australia if need be.

I've tried to email 'aubergine' in this thread, but since i'm a new member i'm unable to email people yet. Any help would be much appreciated.

P.S. Great site, i've been reading for a while now and enjoy the knowledge and the debates!

Re: BMS 18N860

swannyrocks said:
Hi Everyone,

First post on this forum - it's a great site.

I'm trying to find a place to purchase a BMS 18N860 but i'm not having much luck. Online would proably suit me best, but i have a friend in New York, and in London that could pick one up for me and bring it to Australia if need be.

I've tried to email 'aubergine' in this thread, but since i'm a new member i'm unable to email people yet. Any help would be much appreciated.

P.S. Great site, i've been reading for a while now and enjoy the knowledge and the debates!
Best of luck. I've bought drivers directly through BMS in Germany several years ago but it was expensive on duties and fees at this end. I've also tried to ring and email Jack at Assistance in the US only a couple of months back for some 18N850s but he didn't have any in stock and never got back to me (after more emails and phone calls) so I never went through with it.

Depending upon what you're trying to achieve there are other drivers more readily available that may do as well. I went with the AE's because they look exceptional.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.