Who makes the lowest distortion pro-sound subwoofers? - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th August 2010, 08:27 PM   #131
Gyuri is offline Gyuri  Hungary
diyAudio Member

I picked this piece out.
This is vented according to me.

(Or maybe not after all?)

RCF - LF18G400

Last edited by Gyuri; 6th August 2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old 6th August 2010, 08:33 PM   #132
Legis is offline Legis  Finland
diyAudio Member

Yep, the woofer has venting at the back of the magnet system but it's chassis seems to lack ventilation under the spider (which I ment). I'm not certain, but at least the picture doesn't show any ventilation.
Old 7th August 2010, 03:56 PM   #133
diyAudio Member

This is a very interesting thread with much close debate by informed people esp. regarding horns (well, mostly informed). Glad it was resurrected.

Oddly, a great answer is from Tim in Edmonton in reply 2.

Funny, oddly absent is the basic issue for a speaker: what frequency range? No way to choose a driver or enclosure without nailing that down first and sticking with it.

Related to that, there is a very odd, and may I say, ill-considered, suggestion of a 5-way system. Having just been reading Toole for a month and puzzling why the two-way systems are so well liked, going to 5-way seems a good way to solve problems few have and cause problems with multiple cross-overs that everybody has.

And speaking of Toole, nobody can do a Big Job these days without a strategy for room response. In my view for home music, that inevitably must mean a couple of mixed-bass speakers in the bass room-response region below 80-100 Hz spread around the room because there may be no other feasible solution. Which leaves you naked to room-response in the 100-300 region, alas.

One of these days, we all need to think about power again. Not long ago on my scale of lifetime, sophisticated people (who owned meters and scopes) laughed at the power-hungry plebeians. Not sure what the word is today. Related to that is fussing over voice coil resistance changes with heat, brought up in this thread. Can't happen in any normal sized house I know of with any "regular" music.

Last edited by bentoronto; 7th August 2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 7th August 2010, 05:43 PM   #134
diyAudio Member

RCF does indeed have ventilation holes between the magnet and chassis.
Works like an air pump.
Expect slight noise at high excursion (no surprise here).

My other favorite company would be B&C.
I guess Beyma would be fine too.
Old 7th August 2010, 05:53 PM   #135
iand is offline iand  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If you're looking for big high-power woofers with extended HF response, decent Xmax, and low distortion, then the AE TD18H+ is a probably a good bet -- only a 2.5" coil but well cooled, and lower inductance than any other 18" high-Xmax driver I can think of.

Ian

AE Speakers --- Superb Quality, Unforgettable Performance, Definitely.

Last edited by iand; 7th August 2010 at 05:55 PM. Reason: wrong link
Old 7th August 2010, 07:12 PM   #136
Legis is offline Legis  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iand View Post
If you're looking for big high-power woofers with extended HF response, decent Xmax, and low distortion, then the AE TD18H+ is a probably a good bet -- only a 2.5" coil but well cooled, and lower inductance than any other 18" high-Xmax driver I can think of.

Ian

AE Speakers --- Superb Quality, Unforgettable Performance, Definitely.
Yes, this woofer is interesting; has isomeone measured it? What's the average THD% 90/95/100dB@1m and is there any plots which show the distortion behaviour?

Hide this!Advertise here!