LABhorn build: wiring/hardware questions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th February 2008, 10:37 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default LABhorn build: wiring/hardware questions

I've got some LAB12 speakers, wood, fasteners, MDF etc ready to go. I'm going to build one LAB12, and if I like it, I'm going to be building some more for a DrumNBass setup.

I have all the tools and necessary skills to build the thing and make it look great, but I'm not sure what to buy for a few things:

1. terminal plates for 1/4" plug (mono?)- where do I get the best terminals to connect 1/4" plug into and what gauge of wire should go between the terminal and the speaker? I was assuming 8-gauge, but I've seen images on the forums with skinny wires between the terminals and the speaker, doesn't look right to me.

2. What's a good heavy duty recessed handle? Do any of them allow you to lift something this heavy without cutting off the circulation to your fingertips? (like a thicker handle)

3. I was thinking about cutting off the back lower corner and putting wheels there where the Pi 12 has wheels - anyone ever drag these around with the wheels? Is it helpful, or just a PIA? Seems like, even thought more effort is required, one person on each side grasping a handle will have better control...

Thanks in advance, will post images once we get started.

-Bouki
Old 7th February 2008, 10:40 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Oh yeah, and I want to be able to connect from one speaker to the next with these terminals, so that I can power 4 Horns with one amp. So maybe terminals with in and out, unless it's not recommended.
Old 10th February 2008, 09:12 AM   #3
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

You shouldn't even bother.

In no particular order:

One Lab horn won't do squat, they're designed to be used in groups of four to eight per side.

No two people will be able to carry a Lab 12 made from MDF, and the glue joints will creak, crack, and pop. If you do make anything for portable use, use plywood.

Use of 1/4" plugs for this kind of power is not sane. Use Speakons. One cabinet is 2.15 ohms DC (maybe 3 ohms AC), don't even think you can drive more than one per channel.

If you're only going to build a few, try Danley's new tapped horn designs. For a smaller bulk they out-perform the traditional horn. If you have a tractor-trailer rig, forklift, a big crew, and lots of funds, go Lab 12.
Old 10th February 2008, 10:00 AM   #4
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Portable needs thick plywood.
Wheels work well when retracted into the chopped off corner.
One amp to each Labhorn. Or maybe even better with one amp to each driver using a 4pole Speakon.
12 Labhorns for flying in free space.
6 Labhorns for floor mounted.
3 Labhorns if two reflective surfaces gives effective quarter space loading.

Go and re-read Tom Danley's paper on designing the Labhorn. It is very instructive and explains what needs to be done to get the best out of these speakers.
Old 10th February 2008, 05:38 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I most definitely will 'bother'.

However, thanks for the answers. We're building 4 by the way - just building one to start off with. (I thought I made that clear in the original post.) My buddy plans to power them (remember - 4, as in FOUR) with one Crown 5000 watt amp.

Plywood for sure. I need a link because I can't find Danley's paper on the labhorn. I have only found the schematics so far. Any links to info on the 2nd generation labhorn would be great.
Old 11th February 2008, 12:19 AM   #6
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

Using a Crown vz5000?

Each woofer in the Lab 12 is about 5R2 at 40hz, so one cabinet with the drivers in parallel will be 2R6 and the amp will go into ODEP driving two cabinets in parallel (a 1R3 load).

Also, the Lab12 woofer will go into meltdown with that kind of power on dance music with its 50% duty cycle in the bass.

Have fun.
Old 11th February 2008, 02:08 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hey, that's great, so what would YOU use to power them?
I was on another forum where averyone was recommending this amp to run four labhorns. I assumed that several unanimous people couldn't be wrong.
Old 11th February 2008, 02:17 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

BTW, there's no need to be so arrogant.

This is a forum where people come and ask questions, and knowledgable people, like yourself, answer them. I looked at your other posts - all informative and helpful. Why did you waste your time on me? If my question's not worth your time, then ignore the freaking post.
Old 11th February 2008, 02:19 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Go to prosoundweb.com and you will find all the information and help needed to build and use Labhorns.
Old 11th February 2008, 02:23 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks, I'll go to prosoundweb.

If an administrator sees this message, please delete this thread. I'm sorry to have wasted you guys' time. I'm obviously just an annoyance here.

Hide this!Advertise here!