Help me build a tube TL?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey everyone,

I'm wanting to making an outdoor PA unit and need help. I'm wanting to build a tube TL type enclosure, I had a read through the Acoustic Wave Cannon page and well the maths killed my head as there was a lot of it that was similiar but different.

Basically I have a 11.5 foot length of PVC tube that has an internal diameter of 8.7" and and external diameter of 9.7".

I need a lot of bass, what's the best way to go forward?

The only subs I have at the moment are 4x JBL GT4s and a 900w of RMS power on tap at 2ohm (1000w @1ohm).

JBL Specs are:

12" JBL Subwoofer

Frequency Response: 28Hz - 450Hz
Sensitivity: 93dB
Impedance: 4 Ohms
Voice-Coil Diameter: 50mm
Cut-Out Diameter: 283mm
Mounting Depth: 161mm
Overall Diameter: 311mm
Vas: 100.45 liter
Qts: 0.43
Fs: 24.75Hz
Qes: 0.46
Qms: 6.46
Re = 3.56
Le (at 1kHz) = 2.54
Sd (inches^2) = 82.31
BL = 14.78
Vas (cu ft^3) = 3.22
Cms = 227.58
Mms (g) = 181.74
Mmd (g) = 174.40
Hag (inches) = 1.30
Hvc = 0.31
Xmax = 12mm one way

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

Hmm, I did a detailed example for designing a WC near the end IIRC of one of the long threads. Anyway, with only a 138" long pipe you'll only get loading to ~49 Hz.

Anyway, nowadays simple tapped pipe horns are the latest DIY high SPL 'hot ticket', so what gain BW are you interested in?

GM

GM

Joined 2003
I really need to turn my computer off late at night rather than try to respond to as many threads as I can before hitting the sack. Anyway, its been awhile since I calc'd one of these and in my haste did a really poor job of explaining that these only work properly AFAIK when the driver's Fs is a half WL of the total pipe length, which is ~49 Hz with a 138" pipe, but you're right in that this equates to a ~24.5 Hz Fp with a usable BW of ~32.7 - 98.2 Hz.

If you still want to use this driver in a WC, then AFAIK you'll need ~274" of pipe for a ~12.3 Hz Fp with a usable BW of ~16.5 - 49.5 Hz. I've never tried loading a too low Fs driver into a WC, so not sure how well it will perform with driver Fs ~ = Fp. Care to build one and let us know? Regardless, one WC won't play all that loud outdoors, though four may be enough.

BW = bandwidth, so what frequency response do you want your subs to reproduce? FWIW, typical peak SPL demand for rock acts is from 60 to 80 Hz, with requirements at 40 Hz down a full 25dB from that at 60 Hz.

GM

Free (ish) demo of wave cannons..

As you're in London take a trip to Thorpe Park and have a ride on the Nemesis. The last time I went there they were using 1 or 2 wave cannons in the place where you got on the ride. They're bolted to the ceiling. (I last went just before they opened Stealth)

Rob.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.