6th Order Bandpass Subwoofer (rear & front chamber size?) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2008, 03:43 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb 6th Order Bandpass Subwoofer (rear & front chamber size?)

Hello !

I make subwoofer for my home theater system, it's only for low level LOW FREQ BASS presence.

The subwoofer is ¨no name¨ DVC 8 inch (buy on ebay = china stuff)

I want make 6th Order Bandpass box only for hide the subwoofer.

I don't understand why the REAR and the FRONT chamber is not the same volume ? Anybody know why ?

Why don't take the vented box volume on each chamber ?
exemple: for this sub 18L volume vented why don't take this two times. One for FRONT and other for REAR ?

If the sound make 360 degree why the CHAMBER is not the same ?

Thanks in advance or your answer !!!

nicK
Old 6th February 2008, 04:38 PM   #2
MaVo is offline MaVo  Germany
diyAudio Member

you need the Thiele Small parameters of the driver. perhaps you can find them in the package, or on the internet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiele_small

from there on, you need a subwoofer simulation program to simulate the response of your driver with a box.

just building one without knowing how big it needs to be will not work with a bandpass.

if you dont know the TS parameters, you will have to measure them or simply use a closed box as enclosure, since there the volume doesnt matter as much as with other enclosure designs.
Old 6th February 2008, 04:53 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have all information of this little subwoofer but I just don't understand why the REAR and FRONT chamber have not the same volume in 6th Order Bandpass ?

I create bandpass box only because my 7.1 system is hidden.
I don't view any woofer or tweeter in the room.

nicK
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oem8dvcspec.jpg (21.0 KB, 286 views)
Old 6th February 2008, 06:53 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Cro maniac
One chamber in 6th order box acts just like a classic BR box, so it needs to be BIG for your sub to play low, while the other chamber acts as a lowpass filter and doesn't need to be big because it is tuned fairly high in frequency (as high as you want your sub to play).
You can make the second chamber as big as the first, but there is no purpose doing that because it won't bring you better or deeper bass, you'll just have bigger box and ridiculously short port on that chamber.
Old 6th February 2008, 11:58 PM   #5
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: 6th Order Bandpass Subwoofer (rear & front chamber size?)

Quote:
Originally posted by nickthevoice
I don't understand why the REAR and the FRONT chamber is not the same volume ? Anybody know why ?

Why don't take the vented box volume on each chamber ?
exemple: for this sub 18L volume vented why don't take this two times. One for FRONT and other for REAR ?

If the sound make 360 degree why the CHAMBER is not the same ?
Well, if you put an equal enclosure on each side of the driver, one would produce sound always 180 degrees reversed from the other and you would have little or no sound at frequencies whose wavelength is longer than the distance between the two ports. Try it and see

The chambers of the system are different sizes and different tunings to make the sound blend better and cover a wider range.
Old 7th February 2008, 01:26 AM   #6
owdi is offline owdi  United States
diyAudio Member

I recommend a 4th order bandpass instead of 6th. Much easier to design and tune without solid measurements, and has lower distortion than a regular vented box.

Dan
Old 7th February 2008, 01:43 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hello

The problem with 4th order is...............I HATE SEALED BOX

all the sub I had car or home in sealed box have ugly sound, when have big quick loud sound the distortion cone and other bizzard sound.

it's just my feeling !!!

I know many people say the best soundQ subwoofer is SEALED but for me NO

Thanks

nicK
Old 7th February 2008, 02:27 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

For my 360 degree history, it's difficult to explain so here's a picture of my brain

For me the BEST AUDIO reproduction is :

* Class-A amplifier to reproduce all the 360 degree of wave.
* Flat cone speaker to reproduce almost the same 2 phase of 180 degree to create best 360 degree (I say almost because the driver don't have 1 motor by side) I understand me I'M NOT CRAZY

* For this reason I don't undertand why the 6th order bandpass doesn't have the same box in her 2 chamber

Thanks !!!

nicK
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 360degree.jpg (27.6 KB, 275 views)
Old 7th February 2008, 11:33 AM   #9
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

I think you should build it and find out. Easier would be to model it with software and see what happens.
Old 7th February 2008, 12:04 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

For the moment I use SPEAKER BOX LITE but this software is not very great because I can't play with the size of the box and see the result.

Do you know a good software for subwoofer ?

Thanks !

nicK

Hide this!Advertise here!