Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2008, 02:23 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Angry Electronic "Low pass only" X-over

I Have been looking for weeks for a variable electronic low pass Crossover! I can't find anyone under the sun who makes one other than a Crappy 12Volt Lanzar X-over.

I have some large Crown amps that I want to use on my OB subs-So I need a variable x-over

All sub plate amps have this feature but I can find a stand alone piece for this application

I don't want to buy a Pro-sound Active X-over just to cut the subs off.

I've almost come to the conclusion that I will have to build the darn thing, I have never built an Active piece of EQ so I was hoping to find a kit or somebody Like Marchand who builds one of these.

Any Ideas or Help would be great.
Old 2nd February 2008, 02:26 PM   #2
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

I have the project you need on my website, and a spare PCB for it...
Old 2nd February 2008, 03:02 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Interesting! so those are the plans for building a low pass X-over. Are all those parts avaliable from Digi-key or some place like that.

Neat projects you have, they may be a bit over my head in putting PCB components together, have not had much experence in that area.

Thanks for the Link.
Old 2nd February 2008, 03:47 PM   #4
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Although Digi-key have started selling in the UK now, I usually use more traditional UK based retailers. However, I always use common and standard parts in my designs so I don't see why there would be any problem getting them from Digi-key.

If you have never built a project, have a practice soldering scrap or surplus components on veroboard, and do a little reading up. It's not that bad when you have a layout to follow and a little experience.
Old 2nd February 2008, 03:57 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Paradigm made the x-30 controller to go with their servo 15 sub.

Maybe find one second hand ?

Rob.
Old 2nd February 2008, 04:04 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

So the sub controller looks like a Stereo in and Mono out is that correct? I am using Stereo subs so I would assume I would need to build 2 of these.

It looks a bit daunting but I might be able to work my way through.
Your site says coming soon is there going to be a picture of the finished product.

On the Component side view will there be labels of which component goes where? or do you just have to know how to read the Schematic.

The most complicated electronic piece I've done was a 12db 2 way X-over done point to point on a home made board.
Old 2nd February 2008, 04:07 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by richie00boy
I have the project you need on my website, and a spare PCB for it...

It isnt clear to me. Do you have a PCB for the SUB controller available?? Do you send them to the USA.?? If so how much etc.
Old 2nd February 2008, 05:13 PM   #8
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Coming soon, yes I haven't updated the project information fully yet. Yes there will be a detailed component overlay, it's blank at present.

You would need two for stereo. But if your crossover frequency is below 80Hz you will be fine with a mono signal driving two subs, so you would only need one in that case.

I have one spare PCB as I made it for somebody else who then didn't need it. It's just a home made PCB with no legend. I have found a PCB supplier, but I need to get the boards into a format they can take. This may be a while...
Old 2nd February 2008, 07:28 PM   #9
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Are you looking for one of these?

http://www.reckhorn.com/index.php?ln=en&prod=b1
Old 2nd February 2008, 09:37 PM   #10
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

That does look like a nice little unit.

Hide this!Advertise here!