15 inch Cabinet Design?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th January 2008, 12:37 AM   #1
Chicho is offline Chicho  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default 15 inch Cabinet Design??

Hello fellow helpersÖ.Well I hope.

I have had this 15 inch for some time and I have some time to build a cabinet for this unit, Iím a cabinet maker by trade so I think I could do a good job on this unit.

Speaker specs,
D=320
Re=3.6
Fs=22.05
Qms-2.68
Qes=0.77
Qts=0.60
Vas=294.35
Bl=10.15

But I need the electronic brains in the design of the box.
I have punched the specs into UniBox and on a vented arrangement of 100L Iím getting an Fb of 16Hz and F3 31Hz..does this sound ok??

I really donít want to go much bigger then 100L.

Thanks in advance.
Old 17th January 2008, 01:19 AM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

Not really, but then it doesn't look any better in 100 L sealed since it wants around 500 L. Even aperiodic ideally needs to be = Vas, so for 100 L and go low the only way I know to do it is sealed with EQ such as a Linkwitz-Riley Transform (LRT). Unless it's a high excursion/power driver though, it won't play very loud down low without distorting due to the low effective efficiency.

GM
Old 17th January 2008, 01:32 AM   #3
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Looks like an IB driver, so maybe dipole(OB) or "ripole"(folded dipole) will work
Old 17th January 2008, 01:59 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hmmm...

So I will be wasting my time with this unit.

I have a Automotive 12 inch unit-

xmax=12
vas=62l
fs=28.5
qts=0.35
qms=3.95
qes0.391

would this one be better suited?

This is great...
Old 17th January 2008, 02:50 AM   #5
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
Your 15 inch driver is probably intended for infinite bafle car use, so it actually has little use if any...

This other driver is likely to give you better results because it has a moderate Qts.
Old 19th January 2008, 08:08 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I have the Dayton IB 15" with similar specs to your sub, I have mine in a 17" x 17" x 22" deep U-frame and am quite happy with it for both music and movies. A simple 5 sided box with 1.5" thick baffle and it is quite nice.
Old 20th January 2008, 12:50 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

nunayafb,
Could you fill in some gaps?
Proted?
Is it braced, filled?

Sorry for the sill Q. I need to do something with it, or the 12inch.

Thanks.
Old 20th January 2008, 05:40 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

U-frame is an open baffle arrangement, read the linkwitz website, or search for U and H frames and you will get everything you need to make a decision.
I have not braced it yet as I am planning on placing sonotube inside. Stuffing, have not experimented with it yet but I'm sure it will provide some benefits. To clarify, the sub that I am using is going to be part of 4-way towers where each tower has one of these subs. I haven't completed it yet so it is neither aesthetically nor acoustically finished (not stuffed/braced, painted)

-J
Old 21st January 2008, 11:57 AM   #9
Account Disabled

actually his 15" is probably not intended for anything at all

have you ever considered that it was intended to look like a speaker so somebody would buy it ? this is the exact way 90% of car speakers are "designed"

you still could use that 15" in an aperiodic box ... it would even work ... i would not bother to actually build a box for such a woofer though

the 12" seems alright on the other hand ... you could build a normal vented subwoofer out of it.
Old 21st January 2008, 05:46 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
actually his 15" is probably not intended for anything at all
How do you know? What are you basing this on? Do you even know the significance of Qts, Fs, Vas? Every post I have seen you make involves you trash talking something audio related. All opinions are welcome on this forum however if they are not based on any demonstrated experience or knowledge they wont carry any weight.
You have very strong opinions, that's fine. But people are going to start asking you to back them up, many here have varying combinations of theoretical studies and hands on experience and when they provide input they back it up with one or both.

Quote:
.have you ever considered that it was intended to look like a speaker so somebody would buy it ? this is the exact way 90% of car speakers are "designed"
Hmmm, interesting it looks like a speaker, sounds like a speaker and plugs in like a speaker, what a scam they got going. Do you "design" car speakers for a living? If you knew how car speakers were designed you wouldn't be saying that 90% stuff, 90% of car subs have low Qts and a significantly higher fs.

Quote:
i would not bother to actually build a box for such a woofer though
I am curious why, is it based on years of experience? Could you tell us what is specifically wrong with it?

Quote:
the 12" seems alright on the other hand ... you could build a normal vented subwoofer out of it.
Funny, the 12" is a typical automotive sub, it would be a distant second choice for me if the above speakers are the only option. I am curious what you mean by "normal" sub, is there something wrong with the other options presented?

Hide this!Advertise here!