2 amps on 1 Dvc subwoofer? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th December 2007, 04:56 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

I ran 2 amps on 1 dvc sub for over a year with no problem the trick to balancing them is to use a multimeter set to ac volts and a test signal cd.just play the cd on like a 50hz track at 1/2 volume and set the gains so that their within .5 of a volt or less
Old 10th December 2007, 01:38 AM   #22
TWOJZ is offline TWOJZ  Australia
Account Disabled

I got sick of reading this about half way through..

however, why not just invert the input to one amplifier... connect the two voice coils in series, and run the two amplifiers bridged...

its exactly the same as running one amplifier per coil, except you have no chance of messing anything up!
Old 10th December 2007, 02:05 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Toast_Master
sounds good, but how do you bridge something that dosent say it can
Old 10th December 2007, 04:37 AM   #24
Account Disabled

a "normal" amplifier, if you reverse the phase on one channel, and run the speaker from the positive of one channel, to the positive of the other channel.

unless the amplifier is already two channels internally bridged.

if your amplifier has a 0-180 degree phase switch, you shoudl jsut be able to set this to 0 degrees on one, and 180 degrees on the other

of course... you cant blame me if you blow something up

Old 10th December 2007, 05:44 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

well Im not even gonna try that cause, I don't wanna blow up 2 x 500 rms plate amps and a 12" subwoofer if it does not work,

but lets say it did, would I connect one negative of one amp and then the positive off the other amp?
Old 10th December 2007, 06:51 AM   #26
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally posted by Toast_Master
well Im not even gonna try that cause, I don't wanna blow up 2 x 500 rms plate amps and a 12" subwoofer if it does not work,

but lets say it did, would I connect one negative of one amp and then the positive off the other amp?

no, you'd use the two postives, as one signal is now inverted, so its negative with respect to the output from the other amp...
Old 10th December 2007, 06:57 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

well if that bridges them how do you turn them up uniformly, or do you have to set them like as if I ran them on separate coils, are you sure I can do this, this sounds very dodge compared to one amp a coil
Old 10th December 2007, 07:00 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

thanks for your help anyway though
Old 10th December 2007, 07:21 AM   #29
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally posted by Toast_Master
well if that bridges them how do you turn them up uniformly, or do you have to set them like as if I ran them on separate coils, are you sure I can do this, this sounds very dodge compared to one amp a coil
its exactly what car audio amplifiers do...

I assume you're running this off some kind of preamp, or else how did you plan on adjusting the volume of all the speakers?

you would match the gains on the amplifiers, run one channel inverted, and the other the normal phase...

the speaker would be connected from the positive on one amp, to the positive on the other amp....

if you measure from the RCA ground, to the negative speaker output, if this is connected, then you can bridge the amplifiers by this method... if they are not connected, then the amplifier is two channels internally bridged

Old 10th December 2007, 06:43 PM   #30
AVWERK is offline AVWERK  United States
diyAudio Member

The relative outputs of the amp may vary a little at sub frequency's and are of little concern. It would just be additive since both channels push at the same time

Take a 9 volt battery and touch each voice coil (DVC) ( + to + - to-) both coils should push out for correct

With a mono input to a stereo amp make sure the amp outputs are not reversed in relation to each other.

It's really that simple

Regards
David

Hide this!Advertise here!