Can a T-Amp power a sub? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th December 2007, 04:07 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Can a T-Amp power a sub?

Hello all,

Being very ignorant on audio modding I did what research I could on this subject, but could not find a conclusive answer.

I would like to build my own down-firing sub with a single 8" driver (I might try a 350 watt car sub that a friend gave me -- would that work?) for a home theater system. Having heard so many good things about the cheap T-Amp, I was curious as to if it could power a subwoofer. The rated wattage is so low (6w if I remember correctly) but many reviews say that it can easily power an audiophile system.

I am really just trying to replace an absolutely terrible sounding 50w sub, but since I really like DIY projects I thought I would give this a try.

Thanks.
Old 4th December 2007, 08:14 PM   #2
judtoff is offline judtoff  Canada
diyAudio Member

If you have a very efficient sub it could.
But with a 8 it would be difficult.
Try a horn loaded enclosure.
Otherwise it'll be hard to get any useable output.
Old 5th December 2007, 03:40 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Ah, thanks. I will scrap that idea then. Right now I am trying to find a good (250+ w) pro amp for a good price and a small enough package to fit in the enclosure. I am going to make an enclosed case, and since I am only using an 8" woofer, this has been a difficult task so far.
Old 5th December 2007, 02:49 PM   #4
Mikey p is offline Mikey p  Canada
diyAudio Member

Using a 8 inch car sub for home theater will only work if it has the proper T/S parameters. Without modelling the sub first you could be wasting your time. If you could post what make and model the sub is would give people a better idea if this is feasible.
Old 5th December 2007, 05:03 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi,

If you already have the 350W 8" and the 50W subwoofer, maybe you could try to build a new enclosure and use the 50W amp from the lousy sub.

Try searching for the TS parameters of the sub and the good people on this forum will be more than willing to help you along with the design of the enclosure.

If you're looking to buy affordable amp and 8" drivers, try these for a start..

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=264-854

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....TOKEN=77442403
Old 5th December 2007, 09:30 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks to both of you. I think I will end up buying a new woofer, any reason for the one you picked out?

I have also been looking at this amp, what do you guys think of it?

My plan for the enclosure is to make it out of 3/4" MDF. Originally I was thinking of making it down-firing, but it seems like everyone else likes the outward firing design. Any reason for this?

Thanks a ton.

Hide this!Advertise here!