2 amps better than 1 question?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey people

I Have a subwoofer that was once powered by 1 O-Audio 500 watt Bash amp, This one shorted under my own mistake and I was subless for 3 weeks, In this time I reordered 2 more amps and right now Im using one amp again, the other is still in packaging waiting for your answer lol

My subwoofer is dual 12"s, and each woofer has dual 4 ohm coils, when it was powered by 1 amp I wired the total load from the subs to 4 ohms

The amplifier stats for this situation are here: taken from site

Output Power (Watts RMS)........................

500W @ 0.3%THD (into 4ohm load)
5W-420W (into 4ohm load @ <0.05% THD)
325W @ <0.01%THD (into 8ohm load)

.....So if I ever turned up the signal enough I could run amp at nearly 500 watts RMS, but as you can see I now have 2 amps and as you can see I cant wire each sub to 4 ohms because of the dual 4 ohm coils so the only option is to wire each woofer to 8 ohms and take 325 watts Rms (at a much lower distortion value)

Just asking is it worth it running the sub with 2 amps (1 amp per woofer) when Im really only gaining 150 watts, even though they are of much higher quality, and would I really notice the difference in quality at all? I do want to run them both but just wanna see your opinion on the matter :)

Thanks Cya
Peter

impedance

Peter,

Not sure if I understand you, but if you have TWO 12" drivers each with TWO 4 ohm voice coils, then you can wire them to present a 4 ohm load to a SINGLE amplifier, thus getting the full 500 watts to both of them. You would simple wire the two VCs on each driver in series, and the two drivers to the amplifier in parallel. That would end up being a 4 ohm load, and will leave you with a spare amplifier.

I can't see any advantage to running two separate amplifier.

The one notable difference is that running one vs. two VCs on a DVC subwoofer usually changes the electrical damping (Qes) which can affect box size. Not sure how much of an issue this is with your setup...

Just my $0.02...

-tal allweil

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
If the two sub drivers share the same volume I wouldnt use two amps due to possible different settings of the subamps

Double subamps would only make sense if they can manage 2ohm load with paralelled voicecoils and in seperate box/stereo, otherwise your option is 8ohm and loss of power - better to wire fore 4ohm with one amp

I think it's not a bad idea and you may notice the audio quality improve.

You'll have higher damping and less strain on the amplifiers. They will run cooler also.

I see only positive things. Dunno if the audible difference will be great on the other hand.

But as you said, use one amplifier per woofer, and wire each woofer at 8 ohms.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.