Elemental Designs EHQS12 as a HT sub? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th November 2007, 05:19 PM   #1
santiu is offline santiu  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Elemental Designs EHQS12 as a HT sub?

Hey all.

Anybody have any ideas on how to use these for HT purposes? I'm already building two 10" dipole woofers, but these were so cheap i thought I could pick up a few for HT duty. Something to cover the sub 40Hz region.

Maybe do something fun like a pair of 4-driver sealed towers?

Any fun ideas out there? Do you guys think these would be capable of doing HT sub duty?

here are the specs:
link
Qts : .375
Qes : 0.49
Qms : 1.506
Fs : 25 Hz
Re : 1.8
Vas : 157 L
MMS : 90g
BL : 7.2 Tm
SPL : 89.1 dB
SD : 510 M^2
Xmax : 9.1 MM
Old 28th November 2007, 12:53 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Ths company sponsored site has the specifics

http://www.icixsound.com/vb/showthread.php?t=39744

Just noticed they are on closeout..$13.50 ea .

Get some more , I am .
Old 28th November 2007, 12:58 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

well, my housemate convinced me to pull the trigger. Now I have 8 of these coming my way.

You guys have any suggestions on what to do with 8 of these? I'm thinking the two towers approach, but i have no idea how to design the enclosures.

Also, any suggestion on what amp to run (going to put a plate amp in each tower)?
Old 28th November 2007, 07:39 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

On the company site , you will find enthusiastic help .
browse or search for EHQS12 .
There are single driver, double and quad designs posted .

there are car audio ( 12v) , and home audio forums .
http://www.icixsound.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=22

roughly a 2.5 cu ft box , 4in dia port by 18in long for a single
driver box , good for about 100w .

for an eye opener , look up "dodecasub" .

R U scathontipat ?
Old 28th November 2007, 03:18 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

yup, i'm scathontiphat... i'll check out what they have over there.
Old 29th November 2007, 06:35 PM   #6
judtoff is offline judtoff  Canada
diyAudio Member

When you do build a sub with these for HT keep in mind their mechanical limits. They are good little subs if they are not bottomed out or over driven.

I suggest doing a large ported box, with 4 Isobaric pairs(series). This way the box will not be overwhelmingly large.
Old 2nd December 2007, 09:40 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I used two per speaker to add dipole bass to my open baffle speakers. I'm liking them so far!

In a ported box you should get some low end out of these. One thing - they like to have some volume behind them.
Old 4th December 2007, 04:49 PM   #8
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Elemental Designs EHQS12 as a HT sub?

Quote:
Originally posted by santiu

You guys have any suggestions on what to do with 8 of these? I'm thinking the two towers approach, but i have no idea how to design the enclosures.

Also, any suggestion on what amp to run (going to put a plate amp in each tower)?

Greets!

Two 'clamshell' isobaric pairs in two BIB style pipe horns per http://www.zillaspeak.com/bib-howtobuild.asp:

L = 168.31"
Sm = 10.87" W x 15.37"D
zdriver = 36.52" (midpoint between the two pairs)
a-b-c = 7.685"

All dims i.d. and approximate.

An amp with enough power to get the job done with adjustable phase and either no boost or at least selectable to little/none.

GM
Old 4th December 2007, 06:05 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

thanks for suggestions guys,
isobarically loading these seems like a good idea. I'm not too worried about volume, but weight is sort of a concern. I designed a 4 woofer ported box of around 13.5 cu ft and I'm estimating it weighs ~205 which seemed unwieldy. Had to switch gears and decided to do eight separate ported cubes that could be stacked however we wanted to stack them. I guess if i isobarically loaded them the box would be smaller, and maybe a bit lighter, maybe I could do 4 cubes with an isobaric pair in each.

How do I do the calculations for an isobarically loaded sub in a simple ported enclosure?

GM, The BiB idea also looks intriguing since it's unique. I'm not sure how I mount the woofers to the box though with the internal width of 10.87". I think the cutout diameter for these woofers is 11"

I've never built a horn. I have no idea how they sound. I think if i were to go in that direction I'd build 4 of them each with an isobarically loaded pair (since i'm splitting this with my house mate, 4's of things work out well since when we part ways we will both have a symmetric pair). Although I guess I could just do a pair with 4 drivers each. How do you arrange the drivers on the baffle? I imagine they'd still be pretty heavy, but for something as cool as that i might be able to live with it if they can outperform a big ported box. Couple questions on that... Can you isobarically load the speakers facing the same direction? I don't like looking at the backs of speakers.

Can those horns effectively play in the rumbling sound effects range? Is my ceiling going to take a beating with the horn facing up like that?

Amp wise I have a QSC USA900 to power whatever gets built (no phase adjust, no boost).

thanks again for any help!
Old 4th December 2007, 09:19 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

GM,

okay i missed your "midpoint between the two pairs" the first time i read your post. I get it now. And i guess if i mounted the woofers on some thicker baffles, they should neck down enough to fit into the throat of the horn.

What are your thoughts on making 4 horns with a pair of isobarically loaded drivers versus 2 horns with 2 pairs of drivers? Any disadvantages aside from materials and more space? Would I have to change the dimensions you provided at all?

How much if any bracing do such enclosures need?

The horn is definitely starting to sound really interesting to me. Where can i find more info on them? Maybe some of the formulas?

Hide this!Advertise here!