Looking for a 1ohm 1200w ac amp for subwoofers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Sorry for putting this in the wrong place, im not sure what sort of amp I'm looking for.

Im wondering if anyone knows of a solution to my problem. I have bought 8 10" subwoofers in a sealed box all wired for 1ohm, it was originally used in a car but im wanting to use it inside. It was powered by a 1200 monoblock in the car , which I dont have.

The woofers are the jaycar response series if that matters. I tried searching for 1ohm and 1200w but most of what comes back is car related, or seems to be not what im after.

Any suggestions?

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
so you're the guy that bought those off ebay!

the boxes they are in do not suit the woofers at all.

the setup only did something like 142dBs, it should have been doing 150 if it had a proper box.

I think your first step should be to make a ported box, even an isobaric one :)

Thanks for the replys

nunayafb said:
I would recommend rewiring it to 2x 2ohm and then using some pro amps like the Behringer EP2500
You might also need to eq or redesign the box for a better low end roll off, most car setups use too small of a box.

Thanks for the link, im watching one on ebay now.

Would any of the kits around here be suitable? I know that amp is cheap for what it is but im trying to be even cheaper lol.

The box it's in is quite large, as it was used in tray of a ute it's 8 cubic feet with 4 chambers (2 subs per chamber). Id really like to not have to lose the box as it seems well made, It also has those banana plugs on cables leading out and they are bigger than the ones that go on my car battery.lol

TWOJZ said:
so you're the guy that bought those off ebay!

the boxes they are in do not suit the woofers at all.

the setup only did something like 142dBs, it should have been doing 150 if it had a proper box.

I think your first step should be to make a ported box, even an isobaric one :)

Yep, it was a real bargain at $121, just a long drive :)

I was originally thinking of splitting it up (a friend wants 4 for a bass amp) but im keen to see how it goes as is, and 140db should be annoying enough for my neighbors and house mates :).

I also read on probably the same forum that he was playing music, I dont know if that makes a difference, I dont know very much about this sort of thing.

Thanks again

Cheers TWOJZ

I'll get some better measures of the chambers in the box, to get a better figure of it's capicity. Maybe I can add a port??? you can probably tell I dont really want to change the box :)

Also I just realised it was running off a 1500w soundstream amp when it made 141.5db not a 1200w

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.