Linkwitz Stuff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Guy Incognito said:
...torn between two peerless speakers - the 830843 (10") and the 830845 (12"). I want a sub that will work well as a stand alone sealed enclosure. I also want to leave room in the design to flatten and extend the response down a few Hz....

From what I understand, the LT is mostly used to allow a smaller enclosure size, which is what I will be using it for my self. If you look at the Likwitz site, you will see that the author is choosing also between a 10" and 12". He is considering at SLS as opposed to your XXLS but I'm pretty sure the principal applies just as well. His conclusion was that the 12" would be over kill in relation to his amp's power output. Keep in mind that the XXLS line has 50% more excursion, so possibly 50% more power till the driver hits x-max. Could be a usable GUESTIMATE to evaluate what your amp will require to take full advantage of the XXLS.

No harm in having an under powered sub as it leaves room for a more powerful amp down the road... if that's what you want. Just keep in mind that an underpowered LT sub will be limited in the lowest frequencies as that is were all the power is needed. I personally chose the economical route, I ordered the 10" SLS simply because I don't need to shake the house... leaves me with a cheaper sub and a cheaper sub amp... If your choice on the XXLS (rather then the SLS) is based on hope for better sound quality, make sure you can really afford the extra expenses for the driver and larger amp because I don't think the SQ difference will be a "life changing experience". These are all sealed subs and I'm pretty confident that the sound quality will be superior to about 90% of commercially subs out there.

I will report back once I finish mine, regards.

Peter

REF: http://www.linkwitzlab.com/Pluto/subwoofer.htm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.