Old Cerwin Vega 123W woofers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently opened up an older speakers that had a cerwin vega 123W 8ohm woofers...They aren't original CV enclosures. I don't know what the specs are for the woofers(freq. resp., Thiele Small parameters, resonance freq. ideal enclosure type, size, port size, etc.) The woofer pair is in pristine condition.

I've heard that originally, this model was used in a mid 70's CV speaker model 211, but I could be wrong. I tried contacting CV directly, but all I got was this:
Model 211 Specifications

FREQ. RESPONSE: 32 Hz – 20 kHz
POWER HANDLING: 5-100 WATTS RMS
SENSITIVITY: 98dB
CROSSOVER POINTS: 2500 Hz.
IMPEDANCE: 4-8 OHMS
LOW FREQ. 122W2 or L121 12” / 2” VOICE-COIL WOOFER
HIGH FREQ. UHF-91 or DT-8 5” DHORM (1” VC) (9284 or 2686 diaphragm)
VOLUME CONTROLS: HIGH
DIMENSIONS: 15.5 x 15.5 x 26”
CIRCA MID 70s

It doesn't look like my 123W were in this design, and CV didn't have any specs on my specific woofer. Does anyone here have that info? I'm trying to build a proper enclosure and select a xover point for these. Any help would be appreciated.

Parameters change over time - especially 30 years.

It is not terribly difficult to measure T/S parameters, you may find some nearby forum members who can show you how, or you might find people in a nearby audio club who can do it.

All you really need is a resistor, a voltmeter or DMM, and your computer with a sine wave generating program.

My 12" C-V woofers from the late 80's have a really low Q - like 0.17, and a fairly high Vas, about double most recent woofers at 300-350liters. Fs ~20Hz.

C-V seems to frequently use ~2 cubic foot boxes tuned to ~30Hz with their 12" woofers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.