Hartley 18" Woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Believe it or not I just acquired an 18" Hartley woofer that looks and works like new.

Can anyone here provide me with any information on the dimensions of a transmission line I should place this beauty in? I'd really appreciate ANY constructive thoughts, suggestions or ideas.

Thanks,

Attachments

• hartley.jpg
    hartley.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 1,095
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
SY said:
Audio Amateur ran some articles on making a t-line for the Hartleys. That would have been MANY years ago, but it's probably in one of their anthology books. I think the author's name was Jastak.

They did and it is likely i have the article. The tools are somuch better today for designing an optimal line, that it would be prudent to just start over.

dave

A Tad More Insight

I appreciate the input I've received so far. Thank you all so much for your help, please keep it coming.

I just re-read my original post and feel like an idiot after doing so. The reason I am so excited about the 18" Hartley woofer, is not just because I received an 18" Hartley woofer --although that is certainly cause to be happy --- but the main reason I'm so happy is that I bought it for ONLY $50! Without that info my original post almost sounds arrogant to say believe it or not I received an 18" Hartley woofer as if that's some feat within itself.

Hopefully this further clarification illuminates why I was so excited about getting this woofer....

Agreed

I agree 100% Planet. I've have lusted after Hartley woofers after hearing the HQD system @ Take 5 Audio in New Haven, Connecticut when I was a lot younger. I swore that one day I'd have a matching pair 24" Hartley subs in my audio system!

Granted this isn't the 24" model, but one day hopefully owning a matching pair of 18" Hartleys in transmission lines should provide sufficient enough bass for all but the most fanatical of bass lovers.

In any event as you can no doubt tell I'm quite pleased with my find AND for those who might be thinking this price is a fisherman's tale I provide some proof: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190167249920&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=009

First prototype on the right, second prototype on the left:

Second prototype during build:

Both build out of 15 mm ( 5/8") MDF, weight ~139 lbs/ps. Someday... they will get a solid layer of ply/MDF...someday. Crossed at 25 and 80 Hz, nice warm sound, loved the LOTR giant elephant scene too.

Wkr Johan

Hartley Trannys

Johan,

Thanks for the photos of your speakers. I really feel like an idiot (once again) but this weekend, as I was going through all the papers the man who sold me the Hartley included, I realized on one page were the instructions for building the same transmission line he had been using before he sold me the speaker.

As best as I can recall at this moment, the speaker's enclosure is to be approx 60" H 21" W and 18" D. The Transmission line is gently tapering going from approx 9" from front to back to 6", the port is 17" W X 8" H. Does that sound like it's about right dimensions for an 18" woofer?

Also I found out the 24" Hartley's Mark Levinson used in his HQD speaker system were an infinite baffle design with dimensions of 48"H x 36"W x 24"D So I imagine I could use that for the 18" as well if need be, no?

Finally I thought I'd show everyone here my pride an joy. It's a pair of RCA LC9A's that I am very ssssllllloooowwwwwllllyyyy refinishing. These are one of only approx 100-300 prs that were ever made. I cannot imagine how many of those are even still in existance. At this time one is completely stripped and the other is about 90% stripped. Hopefully they'll sound as good with my 135LB, Italian, Mastersound Reference 845, integrated, SET amp.

Attachments

• rca lc9a's (my pair).jpg
    rca lc9a's (my pair).jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 685
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Hartley Trannys

thetubeguy1954 said:
As best as I can recall at this moment, the speaker's enclosure is to be approx 60" H 21" W and 18" D. The Transmission line is gently tapering going from approx 9" from front to back to 6", the port is 17" W X 8" H. Does that sound like it's about right dimensions for an 18" woofer?

Sounds a bit small (WAG)

dave

Re: Hartley Trannys

thetubeguy1954 said:
With a throat similair to Sd, the mouth ~66% of the Sd and a total path length of ~120" (based on dimensions)?

Wkr Johan

Sorry Johan I'm Lost

I'm not a DIYer so this is a new area for me. I'm not exactly sure what it is you're asking of me.

What I provided is the instructions that were sent to me by the man who sold me the Hartley woofer. I believe it's the enclosure he used. If you feel it's not correct dimension-wise I'd very much appreciate ANY suggestions or guidance towards building a proper tranny for this woofer.

Basically I asked what fold style is used (how is the transmissionline folded into the enclosure) if it's folded that is. As different fold styles are common, the exact fold style will reveal more about the way the TL functions. I just proposed a fold style that seemed most likely to me.

To bad that you don't have any T/S-parameters as there are several programs capable of simulating TL's.

Wkr Johan

Oh Johan

From what I see the in the plans the transmission line extends straight back from the woofer. Then when it reaches the rear of the cabinet it bends down 90 degrees and goes down the full 60"

When it reaches the bottom it bends forward 90 degrees and goes straight until it reaches the front and then bends up 90 degress and contines up to just below the woofer where it obviously meets another panel. At this point the port is cut below the panel, so from the front it looks like a bass reflex design with a huge port.

Hopefully that was clear enough, if not let me know, ok?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.