Dual B-139's - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2007, 04:26 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Personally, I'd just build 2 TLs together and parallel for 4 ohms.
I'd be a shame to lose the sound quality by adding cheap speakers in series.
Old 7th November 2007, 09:58 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Cheap price does not mean cheap sound quality but I take your meaning,
How do I stack 2 folded lines in one tower??
Do I plan to port to the rear or the front??
Given that I want to use mid-range drivers that I have in store and the transmission from a medium size driver to a 4inch is smoother ( at least in my limited experience) is there a driver of similar quality and performance avaliable here in Australia
Perhas these
http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/p/V...+170+A+-+8+Ohm
or these
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...=&SUBCATID=383
Old 7th November 2007, 03:08 PM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Moondog55
I want to use mid-range drivers that I have in store
How low do they go?

dave
Old 8th November 2007, 06:56 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default Midrange drivers

I have some Vifa M11 dedicated mid-ranges rewired to 16 Ohm as I intended to use MTM configuration and wanted the lowest distortion from my amp, in discussion with Andy Graddon ( whose opinion I respect highly) no lower than 375hz as their resonant frequency is a little high at 110 hz and probably crossed to the Vifa neo tweeter at 3000 or higher.I have heard comments that 375/400 is a little high to cross the B-139's.
I could go 4way using the KEF's below 100, I have a couple of good amps avaliable and I have a Behringer cross0over avalable to experiment with.
Old 8th November 2007, 07:44 AM   #15
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Midrange drivers

Quote:
Originally posted by Moondog55
.I have heard comments that 375/400 is a little high to cross the B-139's.
I could go 4way using the KEF's below 100, I have a couple of good amps avaliable and I have a Behringer cross0over avalable to experiment with.
B139s got used as high as 1kHz when mated with a T15. 350-400 Hz was more common, but IMHO anything much over 200 Hz is pushing it. The B139 have a fairly nasty breakup at 1k.

dave
Old 8th November 2007, 09:18 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

I have been unable to find any information about the speaker i remember from England.
In my head I have a memory of a B-139 with an 8inch KEF ( B200 ) before the 4inch, I cannot remember the model, I thought it was IMF but found nothing in the archive and now that site is defunct.
I was thinking of 100/120 Hz as being the limit myself, maybe I need to rethink things and look at a better mid-range match, I have always liked Vifa P13's, it's just that I have the little ones here and paid for
Old 8th November 2007, 01:39 PM   #17
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
FYI: A design I made about 30 years ago I remember sounded good and was quite powerful.

b

1(1)
Attached Images
File Type: gif kef_2xb139_tl.gif (55.4 KB, 295 views)
Old 9th November 2007, 09:34 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Impressive, do I read that right -3dB @30hz?
Did you build as a 3-way?
Old 9th November 2007, 12:19 PM   #19
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
…Impressive, do I read that right -3dB @30hz?

With my test gear and some moderate room gain I estimated a -3dB response below 25 Hz, I recall the speaker sounded ‘bottomless’ and it was impossible to keep the gramophone in the same room as the speakers when playing at higher levels.

…Did you build as a 3-way?…

Yes at first, before I modified the speakers to better sounding 4-way’s and the above posted simulation is an reconstruction using MJK: s software of an old sketch I still have in my possession. The only question mark is how much mineral wool was put in the TLs.

The inside walls (LDF) were covered with 2 .5 cm dense Roockwool and the rest with fluffy itchy yellow mineral wool as seen in the small picture but I never estimated the weight or density or took notes of any numbers.

I remember having a hard time to make both speaker measure equal at the low crossover point and iterated the component values of the 12 dB LP-filter (no HP-filter for the B200) and the stuffing over a long time period of until I was satisfied with the result.

My notes reveal the use of a rather lossy 1.8-Ohm inductor, 6.2 mH and a 100uF capacitor.

I don’t recall the dip seen in the simulation at about 115 Hz, but that is probably because I at that time only had a homebrew of test equipments, a gated dial tone generator system including a calibrated microphone hooked up to an oscilloscope and a DIY true analogue RMS meter.

The weak point of this design was the need for a low crossover point between the B200 and any tweeter.

At the finishing end, the best-achieved results show up when using 2 Peerless 122MF midranges in parallel placed side by side with the lower B200 driver below a Decca Ribbon look-alike tweeter, the Gamma VLD12.

b
Old 9th November 2007, 01:29 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

fwiw, the B139's don't like to be overdriven -- but they are very easy to repair if you fry the voice coil -- obviously I have done this several times.

Hide this!Advertise here!