Many deals currently at Acoustic Elegance (former Stryke Audio) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th November 2007, 06:05 PM   #11
y8s is offline y8s  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to y8s Send a message via MSN to y8s Send a message via Yahoo to y8s
Quote:
Originally posted by John_E_Janowitz

Depending on what you're looking to do, the IB15's can work quite well in a dipole application as well. You won't have quite the linearity in the BL curve or the high frequency extension, but used as a woofer they still work well in a dipole. What are you planning on doing with them?

John
experimentation mostly.

I've had the four AV15s mounted in two Linkwitz-esque W frames for a while but haven't had the amp channels to do much with a 2x3way active setup so they are languishing as a table.

the AVs were basically an inexpensive route to large volume displacement for a dipole. If the IB15s aren't a quantum leap beyond that, there's no sense in shelling out the money for them, right?

Matt
Old 9th November 2007, 10:06 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to John_E_Janowitz Send a message via MSN to John_E_Janowitz Send a message via Yahoo to John_E_Janowitz
Quote:
Originally posted by y8s

experimentation mostly.

I've had the four AV15s mounted in two Linkwitz-esque W frames for a while but haven't had the amp channels to do much with a 2x3way active setup so they are languishing as a table.

the AVs were basically an inexpensive route to large volume displacement for a dipole. If the IB15s aren't a quantum leap beyond that, there's no sense in shelling out the money for them, right?

Matt

No, I really wouldn't bother if that is what you are doing with them. If you're doing a 2x3way system I'd go and get something like the DBX Driverack 260 or the driverack PA. There is a 2in 6 out loudspeaker management system that Behringer makes also, but I haven't tried it. Then you'll have your full Xover, EQ, phase adjustment, time delay, etc all in one system. Then you just need 6 channels of amplification.

John
Old 10th November 2007, 03:45 AM   #13
y8s is offline y8s  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to y8s Send a message via MSN to y8s Send a message via Yahoo to y8s
Quote:
Originally posted by John_E_Janowitz

No, I really wouldn't bother if that is what you are doing with them. If you're doing a 2x3way system I'd go and get something like the DBX Driverack 260 or the driverack PA. There is a 2in 6 out loudspeaker management system that Behringer makes also, but I haven't tried it. Then you'll have your full Xover, EQ, phase adjustment, time delay, etc all in one system. Then you just need 6 channels of amplification.

John
I have a DCX2496 actually. It'll satisfy the testing phase or I can use the multi-channel LspCAD outputs just the same. What I've found works well for amplification (so far) is a cheap 5 or 7.1 integrated amp with a "passthru" multi-channel input. you can run the stereo input to the DCX or sound card and then run the 6 channels (3L and 3R) to the pre-ins on the HT receiver and use it as your multi channel amp and volume control. Problem is, the cheap ones only have 5 useable amplified outputs. Sub doesn't get amplification.

Ultimately I'll convert all the adjustable filters to opamp circuits when I'm satisfied.

I also just built some 41Hz.com tripah amps that should work nicely for this kind of thing.

aaaaaaaaaaand thread drift. thanks for the info on the dipole 15s

matt
Old 8th December 2007, 05:03 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default Crawl Space sub

Thanks for your advice John E J.

I was away for awhile and couldn't thank you for your reply.

No, I can't do an IB, because I don't want to bother the neighbors. I was originally planning to place the drivers against the wall, and use the openings between the pony joists of my split-level house. That's why I was considering using 12"s - to fit between the 16" centers (actually ~ 14-3/8") of the pony wall joists.

Thanks to your comments, and others, you've made me wonder about using 15" drivers, and making larger manifolds in the crawl space and make tall output openings between these joists, rather than round 12" driver-sized openings into the house.

I'll still need to enclose them, and I do have plenty of space to do that.
Old 9th December 2007, 04:23 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to John_E_Janowitz Send a message via MSN to John_E_Janowitz Send a message via Yahoo to John_E_Janowitz
Default Re: Crawl Space sub

Quote:
Originally posted by NewbieAudio
No, I can't do an IB, because I don't want to bother the neighbors. I was originally planning to place the drivers against the wall, and use the openings between the pony joists of my split-level house. That's why I was considering using 12"s - to fit between the 16" centers (actually ~ 14-3/8") of the pony wall joists.

Thanks to your comments, and others, you've made me wonder about using 15" drivers, and making larger manifolds in the crawl space and make tall output openings between these joists, rather than round 12" driver-sized openings into the house.

I'll still need to enclose them, and I do have plenty of space to do that.
If you were to use your entire crawl space as the "enclosure" for an IB you'd notice that the output from the front of the drivers in the room did much more to bother the neighbors than the back wave in the crawl space. Most of the sound from underneath would be stopped from getting out by the ground and foundation, while the front wave will easily travel through walls. If you put the woofers in enclosures, if you will still have sound radiating to all directions. The old subwoofer I had in my duplex not only bothered the neighbors in the other half(although it was fired away from them), but also the neighbors next door and across the street. Oops. Other than doing a dipole which would have nulls at both sides, there isn't much you can do to contain the bass.

Otherwise if you're looking for the best possible sound and can't go IB, the larger the sealed box the better. Fill it with standard fiberglass insulation to help eliminate coloration from the inside of the enclosure.

John

Hide this!Advertise here!