Many deals currently at Acoustic Elegance (former Stryke Audio)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

I'm posting this because it may interest some of you.

Many deals currently available at Acoustic Elegance :

C15.1 15" alum cone woofer for 125$

Quantity Available: 12pcs

Fs: 22Hz
Qts: .46
Qms: 9
Qes: .48
Re: 2.9ohm
Bl: 16.75Tm
Z: 4ohm
Le: 3.3mH
Vas: 130L
Mms: 340g
Cms: .154mm/N
Sd: 771sqcm
Xmax: 23mm
Vd: 3.54L

http://www.aespeakers.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=765

IB15 for 129$ each or 4x for 400$

Fs: 16Hz
Qms: 6.8
Vas: 439L
Cms: .45mm/N
Mms: 220g
Rms: 3.239
Xmax: 18.5mm
Xmech: 25mm
Sd: 830sqcm
Vd: 3.07L (p-p)
Qes: .78
Re: 5.5ohm
Le: .33mH
Bl:12.49
Pe: 500W
Qts: .7
1WSPL: 86dB
2.83V: 87.3dB

http://www.aespeakers.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=536

C12.1 12" alum cone woofer for 125$

Quantity Available: 6pcs

Fs: 27Hz
Qts: .5
Qms: 9
Qes: .48
Re: 3ohm
Bl: 16Tm
Z: 4ohm
Le: 2.3mH
Vas: 37L
Mms: 265g
Cms: .13mm/N
Sd: 446sqcm
Xmax: 23mm
Vd: 2.06L

http://www.aespeakers.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=821

C12.2 Poly cone for 75$

Quantity Available: 29pcs

Fs: 21.5Hz
Qts: .38
Qms: 4.5
Qes: .415
Re: 6.6ohm (in series)
Bl: 18.25Tm
Z: 8ohm (in series)
Le: 2.0mH
Vas: 154L
Mms: 155g
Cms: .35mm/N
Sd: 553sqcm
Xmax: 16mm
Vd: 1.78L
Suggested Power: 150-350W

http://www.aespeakers.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=832

It seems like very good deals to me, hope it helps someone!

Good day everyone!

Does anyone have experience with their drivers in sealed systems?

I'm considering putting (8) 12's into sealed systems in my crawl space, which will also use a Linkwitz transform for compensation to lower the Fs and Qts. I have room to give each driver up to about 75 liters each.

NewbieAudio said:
Does anyone have experience with their drivers in sealed systems?

I'm considering putting (8) 12's into sealed systems in my crawl space, which will also use a Linkwitz transform for compensation to lower the Fs and Qts. I have room to give each driver up to about 75 liters each.

If you're going to do this in the crawlspace can you do an infinite baffle? That would save a lot of trouble building enclosures and you wouldn't have the need for the LT. Check out the Cult IB forum if you aren't familiar with infinite baffles: http://ibsubwoofers.proboards51.com/

Otherwise if you have to go with the enclosures, the C12.2's are really a great value for the price. You'd be able to move a total of 14.24L of air at the rated Xmax.

To calculate maximum SPL at a given frequency based on the displacement capability of the drivers use this formula:

SPL = 20 * Log (Vd * F^2) + 48.4

so say you pick 20hz

SPL = 20 * Log(14.24 *20^2) + 48.4 = 123.5dB half space at 20hz

At 15hz is 118.5dB

Keep in mind this is without figuring room gain into the equation and without figuring decrease in SPL based on the listening position distance from the drivers. It's a good way to compare output capability based on displacement though.

Whether in the enclosures or in an IB, you have the same output capability. You just need a lot more power to move the drivers to the same level in the smaller enclosures.

John

I'd love to trade my four AV15s for four of the lambda dipole woofers...

John: Any chance you're going to build up those? I bet they're not going to go for 400 for four or I'd be throwing my credit cards at my computer.

(ok maybe two of the AV15s. I'll keep two for L-T apps.)

Matt

y8s said:
I'd love to trade my four AV15s for four of the lambda dipole woofers...

John: Any chance you're going to build up those? I bet they're not going to go for 400 for four or I'd be throwing my credit cards at my computer.

(ok maybe two of the AV15s. I'll keep two for L-T apps.)

Matt

Hi Matt,

We just shipped out 4 of the Lambda dipoles last week to a customer. I had never built any of the dipoles before this. I was amazed at the extension with them. Here is what Nick's old site said about the dipoles:

The Lambda Dipole15 Driver is designed specifically for open baffle use with added EQ. This is a high xmax, stiff paper cone, coated and sealed foam surround, 12 spoke aluminum basket, 60oz magnet, dual gold binding posts, and military spec coatings and glues. This a massive *underhung* driver with clean high excursion response to 2Khz. Due to the underhung motor design the power handling is much lower than our other drivers, however these drivers were designed to be used in multiples per channel of 2~8 drivers, hence the power handling is right where it is needed. This driver has some of the best midrange performance of any Lambda product, and there is some interest in using it as a powerful bassmid in a large sealed cabinet, call for more details. Available in dual 8ohm coils only, specs are with both voice coils wired in series.

Full info can be found here.

http://web.archive.org/web/20040307231755/lambdacoustics.com/drivers/DIPOLE15.html

The pricing was $279 each. We're doing the regular TD woofers including the dipoles where you get $100 off if you buy two. Sorry, we cant' do them at the IB price though. :(

John

y8s said:
still a beautiful driver. can't justfy a thousand bucks for four though. I will have to throw some serious pole-shifting EQ at the AV15s and hope for the best.

Matt

Depending on what you're looking to do, the IB15's can work quite well in a dipole application as well. You won't have quite the linearity in the BL curve or the high frequency extension, but used as a woofer they still work well in a dipole. What are you planning on doing with them?

John

John_E_Janowitz said:

Depending on what you're looking to do, the IB15's can work quite well in a dipole application as well. You won't have quite the linearity in the BL curve or the high frequency extension, but used as a woofer they still work well in a dipole. What are you planning on doing with them?

John

experimentation mostly.

I've had the four AV15s mounted in two Linkwitz-esque W frames for a while but haven't had the amp channels to do much with a 2x3way active setup so they are languishing as a table.

the AVs were basically an inexpensive route to large volume displacement for a dipole. If the IB15s aren't a quantum leap beyond that, there's no sense in shelling out the money for them, right?

Matt

y8s said:

experimentation mostly.

I've had the four AV15s mounted in two Linkwitz-esque W frames for a while but haven't had the amp channels to do much with a 2x3way active setup so they are languishing as a table.

the AVs were basically an inexpensive route to large volume displacement for a dipole. If the IB15s aren't a quantum leap beyond that, there's no sense in shelling out the money for them, right?

Matt

No, I really wouldn't bother if that is what you are doing with them. If you're doing a 2x3way system I'd go and get something like the DBX Driverack 260 or the driverack PA. There is a 2in 6 out loudspeaker management system that Behringer makes also, but I haven't tried it. Then you'll have your full Xover, EQ, phase adjustment, time delay, etc all in one system. Then you just need 6 channels of amplification.

John

John_E_Janowitz said:

No, I really wouldn't bother if that is what you are doing with them. If you're doing a 2x3way system I'd go and get something like the DBX Driverack 260 or the driverack PA. There is a 2in 6 out loudspeaker management system that Behringer makes also, but I haven't tried it. Then you'll have your full Xover, EQ, phase adjustment, time delay, etc all in one system. Then you just need 6 channels of amplification.

John

I have a DCX2496 actually. It'll satisfy the testing phase or I can use the multi-channel LspCAD outputs just the same. What I've found works well for amplification (so far) is a cheap 5 or 7.1 integrated amp with a "passthru" multi-channel input. you can run the stereo input to the DCX or sound card and then run the 6 channels (3L and 3R) to the pre-ins on the HT receiver and use it as your multi channel amp and volume control. Problem is, the cheap ones only have 5 useable amplified outputs. Sub doesn't get amplification.

Ultimately I'll convert all the adjustable filters to opamp circuits when I'm satisfied.

I also just built some 41Hz.com tripah amps that should work nicely for this kind of thing.

aaaaaaaaaaand thread drift. thanks for the info on the dipole 15s :)

matt

Crawl Space sub

Thanks for your advice John E J.

I was away for awhile and couldn't thank you for your reply.

No, I can't do an IB, because I don't want to bother the neighbors. I was originally planning to place the drivers against the wall, and use the openings between the pony joists of my split-level house. That's why I was considering using 12"s - to fit between the 16" centers (actually ~ 14-3/8") of the pony wall joists.

Thanks to your comments, and others, you've made me wonder about using 15" drivers, and making larger manifolds in the crawl space and make tall output openings between these joists, rather than round 12" driver-sized openings into the house.

I'll still need to enclose them, and I do have plenty of space to do that.

Re: Crawl Space sub

NewbieAudio said:
No, I can't do an IB, because I don't want to bother the neighbors. I was originally planning to place the drivers against the wall, and use the openings between the pony joists of my split-level house. That's why I was considering using 12"s - to fit between the 16" centers (actually ~ 14-3/8") of the pony wall joists.

Thanks to your comments, and others, you've made me wonder about using 15" drivers, and making larger manifolds in the crawl space and make tall output openings between these joists, rather than round 12" driver-sized openings into the house.

I'll still need to enclose them, and I do have plenty of space to do that.

If you were to use your entire crawl space as the "enclosure" for an IB you'd notice that the output from the front of the drivers in the room did much more to bother the neighbors than the back wave in the crawl space. Most of the sound from underneath would be stopped from getting out by the ground and foundation, while the front wave will easily travel through walls. If you put the woofers in enclosures, if you will still have sound radiating to all directions. The old subwoofer I had in my duplex not only bothered the neighbors in the other half(although it was fired away from them), but also the neighbors next door and across the street. Oops. Other than doing a dipole which would have nulls at both sides, there isn't much you can do to contain the bass.

Otherwise if you're looking for the best possible sound and can't go IB, the larger the sealed box the better. Fill it with standard fiberglass insulation to help eliminate coloration from the inside of the enclosure.

John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.