broke guy trying to decide

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm trying to debate what to do here. I'm trying to get a sub that would be used for duty to play music, HT use as well as console gaming. My hopes are to get something that can play clean and tight bass and able to extend down to around 20hz if not lower while on the upper end extend to atleast 50-60hz which I assume shouldn't be a problem for most any sub. I'm not too worried about putting out superloud sounds as I live in a duplex and would need to keep volume at least reasonable though it would be nice to have a little extra headway just incase I need to play louder

What I had planned to start with was to take my infinity perfect 10.1 sub from my car and replace the cheap box on it and get a bash 300S amplifier to drive it. the specs on the speaker are, 10"4ohm, vas 28.35, fs 23.32, qts .042. I can get the rest of the specs when I get home if you guys want them. My main problems with this though is I'm not sure how well it though with home use. Also when trying to play with winisd to put a box together I can't seem to get very good low end responce off it. seems usually around 30-40hz with a sharp drop off. Even more so when using a sealed box which would be my preference as I haven't heard too many ported boxes that sound that great.

the other option I'm just saw that made me debate this is going with one of the rythmik servo subs. from my understanding with them is they are fairly close to the quality you can get with the velodyne subs which I have been very impressed with the few times I have heard one. it also meets my wants with being able to hit below 20hz with a 12" sub. from some measurements I ahve seen seems to go as low as 10hz in a sealed box while maintaining it's output. From what little I have seen with them they also seem to reproduce fairly clean sounds as well. my main worries though is I'm looking at well over 400 it seems to put one together with amp the driver together and lack of information I'm finding on them.

Any help here guys as I have no idea which to choose from. is the extra money really worth it for this rythmyk sub? How good are they? Or is my best bet price/performance wise to just stick with the infinity sub?

First of all, you didn't mention anything about the rest of your audio setup. What other equipment will you be using it with (speakers, etc)? What size/shape is the room it's going in? Large openings/windows/etc? Where are the main speakers located in the room? Is there a primary listening position? Where is it? ..etc etc etc.

Second, realize that subwoofers usually introduce many of their own problems when brought into the mix, especially when the rest of the system wasn't designed around it in the first place. Depending on the rest of your setup, some compromises are likely to be made. I suggest you first focus on obtaining more information regarding the subject before diving into it so quickly, as so many people do. I say this because I've done this myself, more than once. And not until fairly recently did I begin to figure out where the problems were, and how easily things could be improved. In the meantime, I'm now stuck with $1200 worth of subwoofer drivers that I have no use for.

On the other hand, judging by your post.. if you want to be like everyone else who's been mislead and dive right into where I first started screwing up many years ago.. then your best bet would be to obtain a good subwoofer driver based on your budget and integration with the rest of your audio setup (I and others can recommend many), then find a bargain on a suitable pro amplifier to drive it. Once that's done, grab a decent measurement mic, along with a Behringer DEQ or something similar to EQ for sealed alignment and/or room modes. If and when you've gotten that far, there are plenty of people here to help until it's accomplished.

Goodluck. :)

most of the audio equipment is still up in the air. so far the only thing I have that is more or less set in stone is the front and back speakers which eventhose can change if need be. I have a pair of infinity RSa's as well as a pair of sm120's or sm122's not sure which off hand. for the receiver I do not have one yet or a center channel.
the room tiself is maybe 15x20ish with one decent sized window. 2 open door sized entrances. speaker position is up in the air right now also. more or less the only thing in there is my sm120's which at this time are just hooked up to a cheap awia style stereo (yes I it's a disgrace :) ). they as it sits now are sperated by about 5-6 feet on either side of the TV about 1 foot off the wall. this though should easily be able to change.

I'm starting fairly fresh on this the only thing that would be hard to change is the infinity sm speakers as my g/f would kill me if I tried to sell them after I just bought them and are too large to be used for computer speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.