Hornresp - New Website Address

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Everyone,

Please note that for reasons beyond my control, my website address has been changed to:

http://mywebsite.bigpond.com/dmcbean/

Also, you may be interested to know that Hornresp can now model axisymmetric Le Cléac’h flare horns - Version 17.00 refers.

The expansion profile is generated using the new improved method documented in Jean-Michel's 2007 spreadsheet. I have assumed a plane wavefront at the throat.

Press L when the horn segment 1 length parameter has the focus to select "Lec" for Le Cléac’h flare.

Kind regards,

David McBean

I also want to thank you for your software wich is a jewel to some in this community with its features and performance

( even if i do not yet understand half of it,
a beginner like me has been able to simulate alot of different systems to help take decisions ... )

very nice work :)

footstony said:
Wow thanks David,

I had a quick go with the Le Cléac’h flare looks fantastic.

Thank you for your program. I don't build much but it's one of the best toys I've ever had. A previous version (12?) runs well on my old windows 95 laptop(!) I will try the new version.

Australians love speakers!

Regards Philip

Hi Philip,

Many thanks for your kind words. Hornresp Version 17.00 should run on your Windows 95 laptop, no problems. You are right about Aussies being keen on loudspeakers - two notable names that immediately spring to mind are A. N. Thiele and Richard H. Small :).

Incidentally, I have corrected three minor errors I found in the initial release of Version 17. You might want to check that you are using Product Number 1700-071025 (or later).

Enjoy...

Kind regards,

David

Congratulations for your nice work !

I especially like that Hornresp support rear vented chambers, I was usually using an old version that didn't support it. We can now create very interesting designs.

I was thinking about an exotic design. You use a passive radiator instead of a port. You could then hornload the passive radiator, right ? :D

Keep up the good work !

simon5 said:
Congratulations for your nice work !

I especially like that Hornresp support rear vented chambers, I was usually using an old version that didn't support it. We can now create very interesting designs.

I was thinking about an exotic design. You use a passive radiator instead of a port. You could then hornload the passive radiator, right ? :D

Keep up the good work !

Thanks simon5. I thought about including a passive radiator option some time ago, but ultimately decided against it. One problem would have been finding space on the input screen for the necessary additional parameter values :).

Kind regards,

David

What do you think about horn loading the passive radiator ? :D

By the way, it's true that your interface is a bit crowded, but it's perfect that way!

You could find space easily by bumping it to 800x600 or 1024x768. Most of us are into new technology so I seriously doubt anyone here is still on 640x480.

On the other hand, congratulations for keeping backward compatibility, it must be harder and harder.

Hi simon5,

What do you think about horn loading the passive radiator ? :D

I am guessing that it would perform much the same as a horn loaded port having a similar piston area - provided that the mass of the passive radiator diaphragm and the resistance and compliance of the suspension were not overly significant.

The only advantage that I can see in using a passive radiator rather than a simple port, is that particle velocity could possibly be better controlled and more uniform. Not sure what this would mean subjectively, though - I have no practical experience with such designs.

By the way, it's true that your interface is a bit crowded, but it's perfect that way!

You could find space easily by bumping it to 800x600 or 1024x768. Most of us are into new technology so I seriously doubt anyone here is still on 640x480.

For the sake of consistency, I wanted the screen and hardcopy input parameter layouts to look the same. The hardcopy printout was restricted to 80 characters in width for the paper size, orientation and font that I wished to use. This defined the dimensions of the input parameters window. On the positive side, the chosen window size has proven to be very convenient for screenprints :).

On the other hand, congratulations for keeping backward compatibility, it must be harder and harder.

Thanks - it’s not easy :).

Kind regards,

David

Question for David

I am using your Hornresp for long time (and enjoy it).
For back horns the combined response is very useful.

The combined response changed with version and now (with ver 17) I am getting a different response than in the past (actually the difference appears in earlier version, I don’t remember which).

Could you clarify what changed with version?

Thanks,

Re: Question for David

ConExp said:
The combined response changed with version and now (with ver 17) I am getting a different response than in the past (actually the difference appears in earlier version, I don’t remember which).

Could you clarify what changed with version?

Hi ConExp,

The Combined Response tool was changed at Version 16.00. I found that techniques developed for the tapped horn model could also be applied to the combined response model. Predictions using Version 16.00 or later should be more accurate.

Kind regards,

David

G'day David

I'll echo the sentiments of the others and give you a big thumbs up for your Hornresponse program. I've designed and built more than a dozen horns with it and my predictions come out very close to reality. I did another tapped horn a few weeks back and the model was within +/-1dB of the measured response across the pass band. You can't get much better than that!

If you're scratching around looking for things to change in Version 20.00, I have a few ideas.

Selectable frequency limits on the plotting screen would be great. Plotting a bass horn out to 20KHz is just throwing away detail in the passband.

Going for a higher resolution and combining the input screen with the plot could also be helpful. This would make parameter changes quicker through the iteration of a design.

Thanks again for an excellent product!

William Cowan

Hi William,

I'll echo the sentiments of the others and give you a big thumbs up for your Hornresponse program. I've designed and built more than a dozen horns with it and my predictions come out very close to reality. I did another tapped horn a few weeks back and the model was within +/-1dB of the measured response across the pass band. You can't get much better than that!

Thanks for the kind words and for the feedback - I am really quite surprised at how well the predictions compare to your measured results :).

If you're scratching around looking for things to change in Version 20.00, I have a few ideas.

Selectable frequency limits on the plotting screen would be great. Plotting a bass horn out to 20KHz is just throwing away detail in the passband.

Going for a higher resolution and combining the input screen with the plot could also be helpful. This would make parameter changes quicker through the iteration of a design.

Thanks for the suggestions.

So far I have resisted the temptation to make the frequency range selectable - it would complicate things for me a bit, and in principle I am trying to keep the outputs as simple and as consistent as possible. Chart results can of course already be exported to Excel and manipulated there if necessary, and sampling can be done at 1 hertz increments to check specific points of interest if required.

Combining the input and chart screens would require major changes to the structure and operation of the program - something that I am not in a position to undertake at the moment, unfortunately.

Thanks again for an excellent product!

You’re welcome :).

Kind regards,

David

Hi David,

Thanks for your great program, I know it is repetitive, but I’d like to join the ranks of those who have expressed their thanks for a job very well done. For lots of reasons I have not been able to build anything designed with Hornresp, but I find it fun and interesting to model different speakers and enclosures, and am still learning how to use your wonderful program. Please, keep it up.

As to William Cowan’s idea list for Version 20.00 :)-)): I wonder how difficult it would be to add a series inductor (with inductive and resistive components) to the speaker parameter list (e.g.: in the background of the Le field)?

Bye for now, Thanks
Oliver.:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.