Hornresp - New Website Address

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: 30 years

AndrewT said:
Hi David,
that long in development is dedication.
I am sure the whole Audio community will join me in thanking you for this Freeware.

Thanks.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the thanks, it is much appreciated.

I am currently working on Version 17.20. The new release will enable Hornresp records to be exported as AkAbak script files :).

To ensure consistency with AkAbak-generated results, the following constraints will apply to exported Hornresp records:

* Ang must be 2 x Pi
* Cir must be < 1 for single-segment horns
* System must be direct radiator or Con, Exp or Hyp flare
* Horn segment mouth area cannot be less than throat area
* Nd cannot be a series / parallel combination
* Fr and/or Tal must be zero if a rear closed chamber is specified

Note that it will be possible to export data for multiple-segment horns and for tapped horns, and for multiple drivers connected in either series or parallel (but not in series / parallel combinations).

Kind regards,

David

Sounds like a very good idea! For workflow enhancement, would you make it so, that a

Def_Const |variables

{
}

section is generated, instead of putting the values directly into the individual lines? That would make alterations of the script alot easier.

Have fun with the programming :)

I could ask for some more features for the new version of HR, but I'll refrain myself to these:
- Put the calculated volume of the enclosure into the exported script, as this is why I use HR mainly for atm. (In commented lines preferably. Maybe there are other things HR calculates, like the max voltage till Xmax over the desired bandwidth, and these can be also put into the script for easy reference.)
- Is the AkAbak script also importable in HR - to some extent? To investigate Group delay would be nice.
- There are some other things I would like, but for example, so far I can manage it to put the LP and HP filters into the script myself. It would be nice if this feature is also implemented in HR.

I read somewhere that you prefer to put new features into HR if they are an intellectual challenge for you, so maybe you would consider room gain and/or room nodes.
So far there has been little succes to do this in AkAbak, but it should be possible by attaching a Duct Network Element with the dimentions of the room. Unfortunately there seems to be no way of putting the measurement point INTO this element/room, so it models as a LP filter with resonance nodes and this resulting plot must than be mentally superimposed into the plot without the Duct-Room attached.
Maybe with your knowledge of how HR works, you can ponder a way to simulate this?

thanks again for your work/program, and for nudgeing me into the direction of AkAbak!

Cordraconis said:
Is the AkAbak script also importable in HR - to some extent? To investigate Group delay would be nice.

You can simulate group delay in Akabak. After you have opened the frequency response window (F5+ok), click on "calc" in the menu bar on the top side of the main akabak window and choose "group delay" or "group delay in periods".

Cordraconis said:
Unfortunately there seems to be no way of putting the measurement point INTO this element/room...

Have you experimented with the Def_ListeningPoint function? Its described in the manual on page 95.

Another way would be to split the room into multiple ducts and place the main radiator elements node, that it is at the connection point of them. this will effectively place the radiation into the some place of the room, which is at least an analog to placing the listener.

Hi Cordraconis,

Cordraconis said:
Put the calculated volume of the enclosure into the exported script

If you are referring to the total system volume as shown on the schematic diagram, then that is not included, unfortunately.

Cordraconis said:
Is the AkAbak script also importable in HR

No - it seems from what MaVo says though, that AkAbak can do most of what you want anyway :).

Kind regards,

David

Only a question.

Why dont Hornresp work in WINE ?
I dont like to run expensive bloatware only to be able to use Hornresp, so I have tried to get hornresp to run under WINE in Linux. It doesnt work at all. It just shuts down.

Hornresp is a great program! A wonderful gift to all DIYers! Thanks!

Johannes.

@Mr. McBean: yes, I was referring to the system diagram and No, AkAbak can't simulate room gain or room nodes.

I checked the manual and found this:
"The radiation reactance is not affected by the reflectors in the program, since in this case the interaction is
much smaller than for the resistance. Eigenfrequencies of the listening room can have a much greater effect.
This type of room acoustics cannot yet be calculated by AkAbak."

So it can't simulate the rising of the SPL as you lower the freq.
In my view there are more reflectors that participate as you go lower in freq (longer wavelength), but you can't put more than 3 reflectors in AkAbak. If we could specify 6 wavelength-dependant reflectors, we would have our desired room gain.

I did check the Def_Listening point, but giving negative values in combination with Reflection gave strange results (drop in SPL for higher freq). Without Reflection there was just an even rise in SPL, as expected due to the smaller distance.

You can "cheat" to some extend by choosing an excessive baffle diameter (8 meters), but this doesn't give the rise as with MaVo's line, allbeit there is still a large drop in SPL over the entire plot.

Duct 'Room' Node=302=303 WD=4m HD=3m Len=8m QD/fo={0.05}

(If you make it a single ended duct by changeing 302=0 , you see the resonances as clear peaks.)

I think the reason why the Room-Duct trick doesn't work, is because it is connected *sideways* to the TH system, so if your TH is a straigt line with the radiator at the exit, the Room-Duct makes it L-shaped with the radiator at the corner. This would explain why the SPL plot drops with the room attached and why moving the Listening point is not succesfull to get inside the attached room. (It just "flips away" each time.)

Sorry to put all this inside your thread Mr. McBean. Please feel free to do with this whatever you please.

I didn't mean to hijack it, but if the moderators feel this post should be more appropriate in the Colaborate Tapped Horn thread, please feel free to move it.

Hornresp Version 17.20

Hi Everyone,

Hornresp Version 17.20 has just been released. Data can now be exported to AkAbak script files - see Note 13 on page 16 of the Help file for details.

Contrary to my earlier advice, series / parallel combinations having up to 49 drivers can be handled. The upper limit is necessary because AkAbak networks are restricted to 56 nodes.

Input parameter values have been defined as constants, as requested by MaVo.

Kind regards,

David

Hornresp Version 17.30

Hi Everyone,

Hornresp Version 17.30 has just been released.

When schematic diagram data is exported, the length increment for each horn segment can now be specified by the user. This comes in handy when a constructing a mid-range or high-frequency horn using a number of sheets of material of a given (constant) thickness, glued together.

Kind regards,

David

Hi David,
Another valuable addition, thank you.
You must have noticed, that Tom Danley's implementations of his tapped horns tend to have small compression chambers and throat openings coupling the driver to the horn (as in the patent), is there any way to model this in Hornresp, or can this be easily added?
Regards,

tb46 said:
Hi David,
Another valuable addition, thank you.
You must have noticed, that Tom Danley's implementations of his tapped horns tend to have small compression chambers and throat openings coupling the driver to the horn (as in the patent), is there any way to model this in Hornresp, or can this be easily added?
Regards,

Hi Oliver,

I have already released a minor update to Version 17.30 - Product Number 1730-080304 refers :). While carrying out further random testing I came across a subtle bug in the menu control system. It was not related to the new schematic diagram export feature, though.

Unfortunately the answer to both of your questions is "no". I guess it would be possible to export the Hornresp tapped horn script file to AkAbak, and add in the extra bits there :).

Kind regards,

David

Hello David,

I love hornresp. Thanks for each and every feature!

I have a few requests/suggestions:
- off-set driver placement along the hornlength (of a normal horn, not tapped)
- a helmholtz resonator option

Hornresp has evolved into a fascinating and very useful tool as it is, so continue to develope it in whatever direction suits you. If it includes my suggestions, cool... :D

PS: I tried AkAbak, didn't make me happy. I'm more of a wizards and applets and intuitive approach person...

Ivo said:
I love hornresp. Thanks for each and every feature!

I have a few requests/suggestions:
- off-set driver placement along the hornlength (of a normal horn, not tapped)
- a helmholtz resonator option

Hi Ivo,

It's great to hear that you like using Hornresp - one of my key objectives was to (hopefully) make playing with the program an enjoyable learning experience.

Many thanks for your suggestions - unfortunately to fully integrate them into the software in a consistent manner would probably require significant changes to the input parameters window - unless you have already thought of an easy way to enter, store and display the necessary additional information :).

I will keep your ideas in mind for the future, but it is looking a bit difficult at the moment.

Kind regards,

David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.