Hornresp - New Website Address - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd February 2008, 05:43 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tb46
Thanks for your great program, I know it is repetitive, but I’d like to join the ranks of those who have expressed their thanks for a job very well done.
Thanks Oliver. Rest assured, receiving such positive feedback is never repetitive, as far as I am concerned :-).

Quote:
Originally posted by tb46
I wonder how difficult it would be to add a series inductor (with inductive and resistive components) to the speaker parameter list (e.g.: in the background of the Le field)?
I will keep it in mind for possible future inclusion - the "to do" list just keeps getting bigger and bigger :-).

Kind regards,

David
Old 3rd February 2008, 01:20 PM   #22
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
Default Re: Re: Question for David

Quote:
Originally posted by David McBean

Hi ConExp,

The Combined Response tool was changed at Version 16.00. I found that techniques developed for the tapped horn model could also be applied to the combined response model. Predictions using Version 16.00 or later should be more accurate.

Kind regards,

David

Combined response calculation does not update phase plot. It would be great if it did.
Old 4th February 2008, 04:32 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Question for David

Quote:
Originally posted by Eva
Combined response calculation does not update phase plot. It would be great if it did.
Hi Eva,

I agree that it would be great if Hornresp could do all sorts of other things - unfortunately I have to draw the line somewhere, otherwise I would be working on the program 24/7 :-). I will nevertheless keep your suggestion in mind for the future - thanks.

Note that the current phase response chart only shows the phase shift through the driver itself, not down the horn as well.

Kind regards,

David
Old 4th February 2008, 01:22 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Would some donations change your mind?
Old 5th February 2008, 06:57 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Eva
Would some donations change your mind?
Hi Eva,

There is more to life than money :-).

To be perfectly honest, in the past I have really only added things to Hornresp that required me to learn something new - the tapped horn simulation model is a good recent example of that. The problem I now face is that a lot of the requests I receive are for enhancements that do not require me to gain new knowledge, so that the motivation to upgrade the program is not as strong.

Also, to do some of the new things properly would really require a total revision of the Hornresp platform and the (originally DOS-based) user interface. Unfortunately, I simply do not have the time or enthusiasm to undertake such a major re-build. It has taken me thousands of hours to get Hornresp to where it currently is - I have been working on the program in one form or another for over thirty years.

Perhaps I am just getting old and tired... :-).

Kind regards,

David
Old 5th February 2008, 08:20 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Horn phase response in the crossover region is a very interesting subject. Impedance peaks and the usually sharp LF roll-off result in gentle and wild phase shifts, sometimes over 180 degrees "p-p". I have done measurements but the software is weak (again!) when it comes to produce meaningful phase plots.

On the other hand, multi-way systems involving one or more horns without phase matching in the crossover region produce a typical horn-sound signature: Some frequencies are summing strong on-axis, others are summing only off-axis and others are just disappearing, and all this happens within only one octave or two. Optimum polarity or plain delay can produce some improvement but can't solve the problem.

Phase matching is much more important than an inherently flat SPL response, it is the key to get hi-fi sound from horns, and it is achieved by placing parametric EQs at the right frequencies with a DSP crossover. SPL response may be corrected later with a graphic EQ (which responds much better after matching).

The process of adjusting the parametric EQs by ear becomes quite easy if you have the tools to do some previous analysis and you know how many "positive" and "negative" bumps you have to flatten and their order. It becomes very hard if you don't have that data.

That's why I'm asking for meaningful phase plots.
If the the current plot is not including the horn, then, does it serve any purpose? I think it doesn't. Everybody using the program is expecting to get a phase plot modelled at the same place where SPL plot is. It's more like fixing a bug than like adding a feature.
Old 6th February 2008, 04:39 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Eva
That's why I'm asking for meaningful phase plots.
Hi Eva,

Have you tried using AkAbak?

Kind regards,

David
Old 6th February 2008, 10:48 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Beware if he gives this advice ...

... once you get the hang of it, it's addictive!
Old 8th February 2008, 02:30 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Well, I suppose the battle is lost...
Old 8th February 2008, 06:28 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Eva
Well, I suppose the battle is lost...
Hi Eva,

Never give up - who knows what the future may hold for Hornresp :-).

The points made in your previous post are most valid, and have got me thinking…

Kind regards,

David

Hide this!Advertise here!