Small Narrow Subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A month plus ago, I had posted about wanting to get a sub to crossover with my BLH 12" Red Tannoys. The space for a sub was just too small and nothing would work well. I've done some reworking of the speaker/space so I have a little bit more room....not a lot...but wondered if it might be enough to reach the desired result.

The outside space is 8 3/4" tall, 18" wide and 19" deep. The height could probably creep up to 9" if necessary.

What I want is a sub to go up to 125HZ and down to about 40 HZ that is fast and good for 2 channel music. The sub would reside under each speaker.

I'm a good woodworker so a complex box isn't a problem. I know very little about speaker design. I'm not a moneybags but I like the mids/high smoothness of these speakers enough to spend fairly freely (if necessary) to get some decent bass and make them work for me.

The back of the speaker will be angled to a wall so I was thinking that the drivers would need to be on the front or create a problem with the wall. Maybe I'm wrong? I understand that multiple drivers can help get better response with a small space so that's definitely a possibility.

I read the ripole info but I don't know how to model a speaker. I have a macintosh computer and can't run windows programs and most of the modeling software seems to be written for windows.

I saw a design from a couple of months ago that looked interesting. It had dual drivers and was like a transmission line/horn speaker and looked like it might almost work but it was about 2 foot deep and I've only got about 19". I don't know if the design would work with a shorter path.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.