home sub/ upgrade help - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th October 2007, 03:52 PM   #41
larksp is offline larksp  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

well normal this sub is ment for sealed plus being older subwoofer.....

maybe the newer one... longer throw new design deeper and the right ohms.... i guess i should have a good think..... i was also thinking about having one of the 2 car subs for a car at some point..

thanks for the help..... would it handle vented good when its ment for sealed really
Old 25th October 2007, 04:00 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

thanks bjorno i am not yet great with the hole graphs just that straighter lines are better to much wiggles hahaha.

i do see in the last one u posted says 84l and 12ohmz then with =4.3 is that means changing it to 4.3.....

if its going to need a big box say 84l for a 10inch would it not be best to go around same size using 12inch? also the 12 is ment for home use where the JL is ment for car and sealed also is is very old design

if some questions seem stupid
im sure you can already tell that its above my skill level now...
Old 25th October 2007, 04:51 PM   #43
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Quote:
thanks bjorno i am not yet great with the hole graphs just that straighter lines are better to much wiggles hahaha.

Quote:
i do see in the last one u posted says 84l and 12ohmz then with =4.3 is that means changing it to 4.3.....
You need an amplifier with adjustable positive feedback, i.e. supplying a negative resistance of –4.3 Ohm.
This lowers the speaker impedance down to an approx. 8 Ohm (Re=6.5 Ohm) from a typical 16 Ohm (Re=12 Ohm).
Maybe it’s easier for you to build a LT circuit as shown, doing almost the same thing…

Quote:
if its going to need a big box say 84l for a 10inch would it not be best to go around same size using 12inch? also the 12 is ment for home use where the JL is ment for car and sealed also is is very old design
Agree.

b
Old 25th October 2007, 05:01 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

thanks and thats good i understood and throught it would have been something on the lines of that.....

i have a bk plate amp 500rms already2same place where the subwoofer would be got from.) so personally i would say get the monolith.... leave the JL for sale or for a car build another time. i did sell another jl not that long ago for £100 as it is a very rare sub plus they are like new

would you say thats a good idea?
Old 25th October 2007, 06:12 PM   #45
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Quote:
…would you say thats a good idea?
Good conclusions, it’s mostly better to use drivers for the purpose they were intended for.

b
Old 25th October 2007, 06:17 PM   #46
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Yes I agree the 12 would be better in the same size box. If you can sell the JL for good money then it's OK I think.
Old 25th October 2007, 09:08 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

ok thank for the help the guy that makes these woofers sells them on ebay for a bit less than BK is it worth buying from him or bk

think he sells for about 70 and bk would be like 80 or 100 maybe with shipping.......

and then i will make order next thursday. i have 18mm mdf a fair amount and some 12mm im guess i would need to double on some parts for the box ?

and then what would be a good size e.g 80l or 90l and then can work ruff box size/shape to go in my room some where
Old 26th October 2007, 09:42 AM   #48
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

I didn't think BK sold the driver on it's own, we had a look only the other week. Maybe we missed it though. I think the guy selling on ebay is reputable and actually a BK employee.

Hide this!Advertise here!