home sub/ upgrade help - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2007, 05:03 PM   #21
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

I agree the 12dB/oct room gain is mostly a mythical beast, but there will be some gain.

Also as you say basing the need for 20Hz on the existing subs probably advertised similar figure is false. Done well a redesign of what he has will be quite an improvement I'd imagine even if it gets nowhere near 20Hz anechoic.
Old 19th October 2007, 05:15 PM   #22
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by richie00boy
I was suggesting for the Monolith which he listed the specs for. A driver he is contemplating, i.e. does not own. He hasn't really given any real info on his current box, which is why I could not comment on it.
?? We've only been talking about the Monolith. Your unsubstantiated retort to me basically stated he can use it in a vented alignment driven with a 500 W RMS amp just fine without a PR, then turn around and say this isn't what you were recommending at all, but haven't offered any alternate that I can see, only strongly suggesting he shouldn't like/want what he does, a grossly presumptuous attitude IMO.
Old 19th October 2007, 05:47 PM   #23
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

I think wires have been crossed somewhere. You said I was suggesting he builds a lower tuned version of what he already had. The seemed to conflict in my mind as I had not mentioned anything about what he already had.

Chill dude
Old 19th October 2007, 08:49 PM   #24
larksp is offline larksp  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

right now i have a well rather than say ill give you a link to basicly what i have as it much easier and have a better idea to what it is

the subwoofer name /make

directed compx 5108 10inch subwoofer also a sub in its time would hit the $300 same price as the JL in its time

this should be near to dead on what i made
link

this was the first one i made... it does sound good to me not saying it cant be better and main thing i find wrong with some films it will vibrate alot and not quite right one some of the sounds e.g sea waves really deep i think chuffs a bit
Old 20th October 2007, 09:02 AM   #25
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

That looks like a recipe for a lot of turbulence, a port with that many sharp bends. That alone could be improved by an L shape slot port.

Qts of the driver is quite high, more suited towards a sealed box really. However, I think a ported box could be done.
Old 20th October 2007, 11:25 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

that one does say ported when i enter details in

on there site it does say both sealed and ported but they tune it 2 35hz i think and small ish box

and then i have the JL why i was asking would the monolith make a big improvement for me.

on music the sub is good i did sand the edges down and most films it quite good

nice subwoofer it is deep
Old 20th October 2007, 11:36 AM   #27
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

The way they tell you to tune it is a boom box for a car that will have unavoidable bad port chuffing as you can't fit a big enough port in the small box. Poor in a house IMO.

I've had a play and I can't really come up with a ported design I would be happy with. You could use it sealed with EQ but I think you might not want a project like that as it's harder to do and needs a bigger amp. I'll have a look at the JL if you put the parameters up. What is the price difference between the JL and the Monolith?

Where are you using this sub? I'm guessing you don't want a big box, bigger than 100 litres?
Old 20th October 2007, 11:43 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

yer i dont want bigger than that jl is 10inch sealed box where i like ported and

both car subs are 300rms

my amp 500rms at 4 ohms and is a plate bk amp
Old 20th October 2007, 12:10 PM   #29
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by larksp
yer i dont want bigger than that jl is 10inch sealed box where i like ported and

both car subs are 300rms

my amp 500rms at 4 ohms and is a plate bk amp
tell us the size of box you will accept.
Old 20th October 2007, 12:26 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

well smaller is ok but i guess it depends on how much of an improvement it gives e.g
if i had a 40l box and then 80l would make it 10 times better then that would be ok

Hide this!Advertise here!