best 15" or 18" Driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
Fs<40Hz.
Loud requires large Xmax and large cone area.
Q is selected to suit your box/no box style.

Remember that small size/high efficiency/low bass cannot ALL be got from one speaker.
You must choose your prioity, one of which is low bass. Now choose which of the other two is more important.
If you go small size you will need lots of power and a driver that can handle that power. This will also require some EQ, so more electronics skills are required.
If you go for high efficiency, you will need to build it big and choose the driver to match those specification criteria.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Sure ... but I can buy 8 like in EIGHT PD 18" drivers fore two of those Aurasound or JBL ... now that would be something exstraordinary :clown:
and I dare not think what the Aurasound will cost in my country ... many times we are used to pay double fore everything, so we buy in UK or other places inside the EU where there is no additional custom taxes

OK, that pro NRT18-8 looks special ... ahh, I see there is a danish distibutor :D

tinitus said:
Sure ... but I can buy 8 like in EIGHT PD 18" drivers fore two of those Aurasound or JBL ... now that would be something exstraordinary :clown:
and I dare not think what the Aurasound will cost in my country ... many times we are used to pay double fore everything, so we buy in UK or other places inside the EU where there is no additional custom taxes
Nice. I'll eventually have 8 18" Beyma 18LX60's in my rig.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
tinitus said:
Did you say EIGHT 18" ... inside your home :hot:

No, he said "rig," which I think is Antipodean for lorry or truck. It's just another car stereo... :D

What I want to know is how he got planning permission for all that. I have had to use a subtle and extended campaign to obtain permission from She Who Must Be Obeyed for a pair of 18" bass drivers.

EC8010 said:

No, he said "rig," which I think is Antipodean for lorry or truck. It's just another car stereo... :D

What I want to know is how he got planning permission for all that. I have had to use a subtle and extended campaign to obtain permission from She Who Must Be Obeyed for a pair of 18" bass drivers.

We're not all under such constraints. In my house, it's "He who must be obeyed". The price for that, is I'm a hell of a guy otherwise, and do more than my share of things. I imagine your wife is awesome apart from being... erm... selective about your stereo?

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Ah well, on the upside, I have been allowed to take an entire largish room for my lab/workshop. And another is full of boxes. Oh, and the garage has quite a bit of stuff in it. I have won her over from the position of LS3/5a being "too large", so progress has been made.

EC8010 said:

No SO so no planning permission required. These will be in the living room.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.