Have I lost my mind!?!? Thinking of spending $6k AUD on a Subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I've been enjoying the forums for quite some time now and had the idea to build a subwoofer.

So what I did was go out and test some that I would like to build, the three it came down to was:

B&W ASW855 $6k
Velodyne DD15 $5.7k
Velodyne DD18 $6.7k

I was thinking I could build one, but would it sound as good? Would it turn out to be utter cr@p!

What to do?

Now it all sounds fine but; can it have a medical application......or possibly be used in national defence? Just see if Mr. Howard can give you a bribe SORRY, SORRY, wrong word.....a grant, that's it, a grant..... This is definitely the month to seek a favourable response for Federal Gov't assistance.

If you really think a subwoofer is what you want, there are a lot of options out there as far as those go..
DON'T BUY ONE, BUILD YOUR OWN!

Tons of possibilities with different types of sealed, vented, transmission lines, horns, infinite baffle, open baffle (u frame, h frame, etc)..

12"-18" subwoofer drivers for around $150-$400 USD each, depending on what you want to do.
A VERY good professional rackmount amplifier, taking just about any reasonable load thrown at it and powering just about anything you could possibly need to use it for, can be purchased for roughly around the same price.

..$6k AUD?? I don't think so!! I hate it when people do this.

I'm a HUGE supporter of using EQ to reduce the effect of room modes in a subwoofer. There is no need to run out and get a $400 Velodyne SMS or similar unit. The Behringer Feedback Destroyer (BFD) in relatively inexpensive and has been used by many to tame LF room modes. See this link for much more info (and lots of free downloads):

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/bfdguide/

As far as building your own - you can do as good as most production subs for much much less DIY.

BHTX said:

Bull****, you can do MUCH better. :D :up: ;)

i agree :)

i am very happy with my tapped horns, which i build around two old 10 inch woofers which were unused for some years. definitely better than every sub i heard until now - which were all commercial ones at friends houses. try to build your own, its fun and should have a nice "wow" effect.

Holy Smokes...$6,000 !!!! I'm not sure what that translates to in US dollars, but for that kind of money, with a little thought and a bit of work on your part, you should be able to put together a whole system. And I don't mean a second rate system either.
In fact, if you can assemble kits, I see no reason why you couldn't have a system to rival just about any out there.

My advice would be to get the room acoustics fixed first, then start on your system. A $2,000 system in an acoustically treated room will just about always sound better than a $20,000 system in a typical untreated room. In fact, good headphones hooked into a decent headphone amp fed from a iPod will probably give you far better sound.

The short list, in order of priority:
1. Room
2. Speakers
3. Source
4. Amps, etc.

Best Regards,
TerryO

You can probably build three to six high quality subwoofers including amplifier and crossover for that price :D

But if you like esoteric audio gear and you don't feel like learning electronics and acoustics, feel free to expend the money. Then again, people that masters these two sciences/arts have to make their living out of something ;)

dantwomey said:
I'm building my own sub using a TCSOUNDS driver but since they've ceased selling to the public I thought I'd recommend one of their commerical products. Have a look at this sub . This and a Buttkicker amp and you'd be off to a good start for around $1200.

Regards,
Dan

Wow, that looks like what the sunfire sub should have been. Still not sure I agree with the principle, but hey, it is pretty slick. A couple of those could have a lot of output and break up room modes/nodes without being visually obtrusive.

Hi all,
I build my sub from scratch I buy a local brand 18 inch ( I even do not know this driver parameter well I jnow the FS only) and do the carpenter job after I came home the driver cost me 54 USD the MDF cost 26 USD the quasy amp to power it cost me 100 USD the screw,other thing like damping bolt etc cost me 25 USD so total it cost 205 USD may be not cheap for somebody like me ( my mothly salary 200 USD) but I happy with the result. try it and you will now what I mean with happy in this case

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.