Have I lost my mind!?!? Thinking of spending $6k AUD on a Subwoofer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th October 2007, 08:48 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Have I lost my mind!?!? Thinking of spending $6k AUD on a Subwoofer

Hi All,

I've been enjoying the forums for quite some time now and had the idea to build a subwoofer.

So what I did was go out and test some that I would like to build, the three it came down to was:

B&W ASW855 $6k
Velodyne DD15 $5.7k
Velodyne DD18 $6.7k

I was thinking I could build one, but would it sound as good? Would it turn out to be utter cr@p!

What to do?
Old 10th October 2007, 09:39 AM   #2
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Definately build one yourself!!! There are a lot of great subwoofer builds out there. Getting it to look good is usually the challenge. Getting it to sound as good or better is the easier bit. There are classD subwoofer amplifier units that you can buy. (Probably the same as B&W are using)

At those big brand names you are paying for the name/marketing etc.
Old 10th October 2007, 09:46 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Now it all sounds fine but; can it have a medical application......or possibly be used in national defence? Just see if Mr. Howard can give you a bribe SORRY, SORRY, wrong word.....a grant, that's it, a grant..... This is definitely the month to seek a favourable response for Federal Gov't assistance.
Old 11th October 2007, 05:54 AM   #4
BHTX is offline BHTX  United States
diyAudio Member

If you really think a subwoofer is what you want, there are a lot of options out there as far as those go..
DON'T BUY ONE, BUILD YOUR OWN!

Tons of possibilities with different types of sealed, vented, transmission lines, horns, infinite baffle, open baffle (u frame, h frame, etc)..

12"-18" subwoofer drivers for around $150-$400 USD each, depending on what you want to do.
A VERY good professional rackmount amplifier, taking just about any reasonable load thrown at it and powering just about anything you could possibly need to use it for, can be purchased for roughly around the same price.

..$6k AUD?? I don't think so!! I hate it when people do this.
Old 11th October 2007, 01:49 PM   #5
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

RYTHMIK servosub kits are said to be the closest you will ever get to Velodyne ... at 1/10 of the cost ... so how many do you want

But I suppose you will need a 6-band bassEQ like the one from ESP or maybe something digital

Maybe this digital xo with EQ will be good fore a sub

http://www.groundsound.com/dcn23.html
Old 11th October 2007, 03:41 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Just give me the 6k. At least one of us will be happy then.

Build it yourself. If you have a loft then an Infinite Baffle will destroy anything you can buy commercially from one of the audiophile jewellers.

http://ibsubwoofers.proboards51.com/
http://home.comcast.net/~infinitelybaffled/
Old 12th October 2007, 03:55 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I'm a HUGE supporter of using EQ to reduce the effect of room modes in a subwoofer. There is no need to run out and get a $400 Velodyne SMS or similar unit. The Behringer Feedback Destroyer (BFD) in relatively inexpensive and has been used by many to tame LF room modes. See this link for much more info (and lots of free downloads):

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/bfdguide/

As far as building your own - you can do as good as most production subs for much much less DIY.
Old 12th October 2007, 04:20 AM   #8
BHTX is offline BHTX  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BoomieMCT
As far as building your own - you can do as good as most production subs for much much less DIY.
Bull****, you can do MUCH better.

Manually edited by mod.
Old 12th October 2007, 08:50 AM   #9
MaVo is offline MaVo  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BHTX

Bull****, you can do MUCH better.

i agree

i am very happy with my tapped horns, which i build around two old 10 inch woofers which were unused for some years. definitely better than every sub i heard until now - which were all commercial ones at friends houses. try to build your own, its fun and should have a nice "wow" effect.
Old 12th October 2007, 06:50 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I'm building my own sub using a TCSOUNDS driver but since they've ceased selling to the public I thought I'd recommend one of their commerical products. Have a look at this sub . This and a Buttkicker amp and you'd be off to a good start for around $1200.

Regards,
Dan

Hide this!Advertise here!