Studio Sub Xo Frequency

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok I'm setting up a recording studio and I plan to have to small monitors possibly with small stands on my table with my mixer, keybord, computer, ect. I intend to put a subwoofer on the floor under the table directly between the speakers. How high of a crossover frequency would blend well with the monitors. I'm considering electronic crossovers but havent really decided yet just doing some research first.

Depends on how low the monitors go,linearly. This will depend on the mid woofer used,and enclosure,and SPL.

Many people would say try around 80hz first,active filtered atleast 12dB/octave,perhaps 24dB even.
This will probably take measurements or trial and error. Note that the room modes will change the response.

Take a look at these whitepapers and learn.

http://www.harman.com/about_harman/technology_leadership.aspx

I'm interested in this also. How high in frequency (objectively) can you go monopole without localization problems. Please don't say "until it sounds bad", I'm looking for a scientific answer.

Are you asking how high you can go monopole (vs stereo) without suffering localization issues (ie being able to know the sub is below you) or asking how close the sub has to be at "X" frequency?

The sub should be within 1/2 wavelength of the midbass cone at the XO frequency. At 80hz, thats about 7'.

GM

Joined 2003
The 'scientific' answer is that just like with an array, ideally you want the c-t-c spacing between sources to be < 1/4 WL of the HF's > -24 dB of the XO point, so for 150 Hz/4th order, the c-t-c spacing ideally needs to be ~13560"/4/150 = ~22.6", ~11.3"/2nd order, etc.. FWIW, many folks claim D'Appolito's 1 WL at the XO point is sufficient regardless of slope order, so there's your experimental range to find what's acceptable to you in your room, app.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.