Which driver 15" dayton RS or tempest x

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, Which driver would you guys recommend for a ported sonotube. The 15" tempest x with its impressive 27mm xmax and brahma motor structure (does anyone know when it will be available), or 15" dayton reference probably HO. It will be used for 50% ht and 50% music. I want it to hit the lower cycles and get as loud as possible (without endangering the low end). Cabinet size isn't a huge issue. Horn or IB not an option, I am renting a room. Power will not be a problem, I will probably get a mackie fr rack amp since I heard they use the best internal components. Any objections to the amp? They should be around the same price, the subs that is.

I think that covers everything, if there is any other info needed let me know

Thank you
Dan

saabracer23 said:
Hello, Which driver would you guys recommend for a ported sonotube. The 15" tempest x with its impressive 27mm xmax and brahma motor structure (does anyone know when it will be available), or 15" dayton reference probably HO. It will be used for 50% ht and 50% music. I want it to hit the lower cycles and get as loud as possible (without endangering the low end). Cabinet size isn't a huge issue. Horn or IB not an option, I am renting a room. Power will not be a problem, I will probably get a mackie fr rack amp since I heard they use the best internal components. Any objections to the amp? They should be around the same price, the subs that is.

I think that covers everything, if there is any other info needed let me know

Thank you
Dan

Dan,
The Tempest-X may be the better driver, with improved performance over the old Tempest, which was considered pretty good in it's own right. I happen to know that a great deal of thought and critical judgement went into the revised version. The Dayton is a decent driver, as it should be, given that those drivers are an attempt to duplicate the groundbreaking design work of Adire's Dan Wiggins.

I may be talking to Kevin Haskins this evening and if I do, I'll ask him when it looks like the Tempest-X will be available.

Standard Disclaimer: Kevin and I are friends, however I don't work for nor am I associated in any way with DIYcable or Exodus Audio.

In addition, I don't owe Kevin any money:D

Best Regards,
TerryO

Haha it's funny how you put a disclaimer on, I can see how people would think you are advertising for Kevin. I have never owned the tempest but have heard good things and my brother owns the 12" version of the dayton RS. Both have eye candy, rubber surround cast frames, larger motor. Are there any ts parameters on the tempest x yet? Sorry I have done many searches to find nothing. If you don't mind ask Kevin where he would put his money, I don't know him but I don't think he would be biased. I have a little time, I have 4 Tang Band neo 8" subs to sell to fund the new sub.

Thanks
Dan

I haven't talked to Kevin yet. My Mother in Law died and everything is pretty disorganized. However, here's the design TS parameters that were posted in July on another site:

T/S parameters to match the Shiva & Tempest:

Param Shiva-X Tempest-X

-------- ------- ---------

Fs 19.1 17.2 Hz

Qms 5.6 6.2

Qes 0.41 0.45

Qts 0.38 0.42

Vas 147.3 402.1 Liters

Sd 470.0 800.0 cm^2

Re 12.6 12.6 Ohms VC in series (3.15 in parallel)

Le 3.6 3.6 mH VC in series (1.1mH in parallel)

Mms 140.7 170.7 grams

Cms 0.5 0.5 mm/N

Xmax 26.5 26.5 mm one way linear

Xsus 39.5 39.5 mm, will be basket limited

BL 21.9 21.9 N/A (11 VC in parallel)

SPL 85.7 88.4 dB @ 1W, 1m

Sens 88.8 91.5 dB @ 2.83Vrms, 1W, 4 Ohm load

Pmax 600 600 Watts

Projected pricing $155 & $175 respectively.

Also, please note that the new designs incorporate XBL 2 motors (that eliminate the need for larger diameter Voice Coils, and produce lower distortion). They have a little more Xmax with improved spiders and surrounds.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Obviously I'm a little biased. I've had a hand in the design and I'll be selling the Tempest-X.

And Terry is officially on the payroll. He owes me a taxi ride next year out of Victoria. (inside jjoke).

I don't think there is a shadow of a doubt which is the better driver though. The issues would be:

#1. Tempest-X is not yet available. Due late October early November.

#2. May require different box sizes than another woofer. It looks really good in 250L, 128oz of polyfill with two, full length, 4" flared Precision Sound Ports tunning it to about 17Hz. Sono subs work really good for these large ported enclosures. It would reach well below 20Hz in-room. Here is a simulation with 800W. I'd recommend a subsonic filter, 14-16Hz.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

#3. May cost more.... I'm not sure which Dayton your talking about (they have a bunch) but the Tempest-X is going to be $195 (includes UPS GND shipping in lower 48 states).

First off thank you for replying.

I guess I would be biased also if I was designing a driver. The driver I was looking at specifically was the dayton reference high output 15. The price is not a big problem a matter of 30 or so dollars. Looks like I shall wait for the Tempest X. Thank you for your biased input, lol. These drivers have upgraded to rubber surrounds and cast frames, right. Sorry I guess I could answer these questions myself if I knew where to find info. Where could I find the most info on these drivers? Also do you have any input on the mackie fr amps or would you suggest something else.

Thanks again
Dan

I'll have more information on the new Exodus Audio web site (not yet up) and on the www.diycable.com web site once I have the drivers. Right now I don't have the drivers so most interest has been through word of mouth.

These drivers use a standard 12 spoke cast basket and the Tempest-X uses a 38mm rubber surround.

For an amp I don't typically recommend a specific model. The pro-audio rack units are popular and they would match up nice with the new Woofer Widget ($349) room measurement and signal processing toy we have coming out about the same time as the Tempest-X. A Behringer EP1500 looks like it would do the trick but I don't have any personal experience with the unit. Its bigger brother the EP2500 has been very popular as a subwoofer amp.

I'll probably have some packages that save you a little money when you buy both the Woofer Widget & a subwoofer. The Behringer is about $300, the Tempest $195, and the Woofer Widget $349 to give you some idea of where you would be in terms of overall cost.

If you want to read more about the Woofer Widget your best going to my forum.

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=45836.0

Kevin Haskins said:

And Terry is officially on the payroll. He owes me a taxi ride next year out of Victoria. (inside jjoke).

I'm on the payroll?
Well it's certainly news to me. I take it, that in doing so, you've given tacit acceptance of my standard fees.

The Retainer, which is due immediately, is a meager $250,000. The consulting rate is just a mere $200 per hour, while I charge only $350 per hour for inspiration. In an Industry that offers "Amazing Bargins" for anywhere from $6,000 to $35,000 my fee schedule would certainly not be out of line.

As for that Taxi ride...

Kevin, what makes you think we'll even be allowed to enter Canada after last summer?
:D

On second thought, I'm terminating our "Tacit Contract" immediately. I've decided instead to write a screenplay entitled "Indiana Haskins and the Triode Treasure of Planet 10." This Boxoffice Hit will be based on actual hair-raising events that recently took place on a semi-remote Island in the Pacific Ocean.

Best Regards,
Terry "Hollywood" Olson

Do you guys mind me asking what you guys are running for your sub frequencies and what you are using for power? I saw the pic and thought "hey that looks like the northwest" and saw where you guys were from. My wife is from the Port Hadlock, Port Townsend area. I love that area. I am trying to convince my wife to move from Salem up to the Seattle area since we have so many friends up there. Beautiful up there.

Dan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.