Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st October 2007, 05:20 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Total Novice Needs Help

HI

i AM ANXIOUS TO BUILD A SEALED (FOR SIMPLICITY) SUB IN ABOUT A 3 CU FOOT BOX. i HAVE ORDERED A BASH 500 PLATE AMP AND THE 3/4 MDF. HOWEVER PICKING A 12 " DRIVER IS REALLY OVER MY HEAD. i WAS THINKING OF GETTING THE XJ-12 FROM DIYCABLE.COM FOR $175 SHIPPED. THIS IS A NEW DRIVER, AND I DON'T AM HAVING SECOND THOUGHTS. aNY SUGGESTIONS ON ALTERNATIVE DRIVERS? THANKS

SCOTT

XJ-12 DRIVER
xmax: 27mm
Re: 3.95 Ohms
Qts: 0.58
Qes: 0.67
Qms: 4.35
Fs: 31.5Hz
mms: 114g
cms: .225 mm/N
BL: 11.43
Vas: 83L
SPL: 87.7
Sd: 506.7 cm^2
Old 1st October 2007, 08:30 AM   #2
diyAudio Moderator

Good morning Scott. Firstly a quick word about your post - using all capitals is regarded online as shouting, and is very impolite.

As regards your prospective driver, I don't have time to model it for you, but it looks OK at a quick glance, though the Fs is a little high for a true sub. What I would suggest is a little research. The plate amp you have ordered looks fine to start, but regarding the driver, have a look around here and the web for completed projects, and for a first attempt, copy one of those. This is not to say that designing a sub is complicated, it isn't, but you need to have a basic understanding of what the component parameters mean, and how to use modelling software to get the response you require. Are you up for a little reading, or do you just want to chop wood?

Hide this!Advertise here!