Harmon-Kardon iMac iSub for Home Theater

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all!

I've decided to collect up a number of projects and unused components around the garage and create a cheap "home theater" set-up for the kids' playroom.

I'm not looking to recreate a theater enviroment (not that they are so great these days anyway) but rather have a fun set-up that costs little or nothing so the kids can play 5.1 DVDs with their friends.

I have an iSub that's no longer being used with our iMac, but the input is a USB cable. I think later versions have RCA in or out.

Does anyone know how to convert the input to accept RCAs? Is it as simple as cutting the cable and rewiring or is there more to it than that? I'd rather ask than ruin the iSub by experimenting.

Thanks for you advice!

Don't do this - the iSub is not a home theater subwoofer. It's designed to be listened to in the nearfield, placed on the floor directly beneath a desk that you're sitting at. Trying to fill a room with bass using that sub is a losing proposition. Also, I think the iSub features an internal amplifier that is designed to take an input from the USB port of the computer, not the analog input that would come in from a home theater receiver. Just buy a cheap 8" driver like the Dayton 8" DVC driver and a cheap plate amplifier like the Parts Express 70w, and build a basic vented box. Then you'll be in business for bass.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.