Best driver(s) for an N-profile Ripole? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st October 2007, 03:56 PM   #11
Calvin is offline Calvin  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I was already the second who suggested You to use the search function, since there is a lot of very precise and useful info to find that doesn´t need to be rewritten again and again.
Since I normally try to give precise answers and infos, I refuse to give values like ´low´ or ´high´ when they are simply not appropriate.

But because of Your oh so friendly way, I follow Your suggestion and stuff it.

jauu
Calvin
Old 1st October 2007, 08:34 PM   #12
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally posted by Calvin

...useful info to find that doesn´t need to be rewritten again and again.
Have a quick look around with your eyes wide open to notice how many subjects are rewritten over and over. If you have something helpful (or even entertaining) to say, then say it. Otherwise, say nothing.

It should be plain from my friendly way (brought on by your unhelpful attitude), that I neither want or need your advise.
Old 1st October 2007, 08:56 PM   #13
zobsky is offline zobsky  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MJL21193

Have a quick look around with your eyes wide open to notice how many subjects are rewritten over and over. If you have something helpful (or even entertaining) to say, then say it. Otherwise, say nothing.

It should be plain from my friendly way (brought on by your unhelpful attitude), that I neither want or need your advise.
I think the answer is "moderately low Qts" ..0.4 or so . For example, the specs for the "original" driver used for ripoles can be found here http://www.lautsprechershop.de/hifi/...i/ripol_en.htm

Let's not get further into mudslinging. IMHO, the search engine on this forum is less than optimal (or I don't know how to use it) for complex queries but as a result of searching, I invariably end up learning a lot more, in addition to my initial query , .. so it's all good . Also, there's always google too, since this site is open to their search engine.

Peace
Old 1st October 2007, 09:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally posted by zobsky

I think the answer is "moderately low Qts" ..0.4 or so . For example, the specs for the "original" driver used for ripoles can be found here http://www.lautsprechershop.de/hifi/...i/ripol_en.htm
Thanks Zobsky. Was that so difficult?
The site you pointed to I've already visited, along with many threads on this forum. It's good to hear as many perspectives as possible.
I agree, the search results can be daunting. Sometimes, a search will lead to the point where I've forgotten what I'm looking for..
Old 1st October 2007, 10:10 PM   #15
Rudolf is offline Rudolf  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zobsky
Peace
A fine example how urban myth´ emerge!
I know from first hand that the people of lautsprechershop asked Axel to compute the best ripole dimensions and filter for this given driver. And that he did! So it is NOT "the original driver" NOR the best driver. But simply a decent one at a competitive price (in Germany at least).

@MJL21193
If you need a guideline: Almost everybody agrees that the Peerless SLS series drivers have very appropriate parameters at a decent price.
If your target is a fully passive system at a budget, the Eminence Alpha 15A with Qts>1 might be a perfect solution. If you have all means of electronic equalisation, a Beyma PA driver with a low Qts might be the best answer because of its more sophisticated motor, cone and built quality.
You can tweak a W baffle and driver combination in many ways, so why insist on a narrow "standard" design?
Old 1st October 2007, 10:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudolf

If you need a guideline: Almost everybody agrees that the Peerless SLS series drivers have very appropriate parameters at a decent price.

You can tweak a W baffle and driver combination in many ways, so why insist on a narrow "standard" design?

Hi Rudolf,
The SLS drivers are in my price range, but I would really like a higher efficiency (>95db). These will be for music only to augment the base from a pair of sealed 3 ways. They will be driven from a separate amp with an active filter.

The w baffle requires 2 drivers, yes? That would be 4 drivers for 2 units. I also want these as slim and compact as possible.They will be located close to the sealed 3 ways.

Have you looked at the Eminence woofer I linked to above? Does it have potential, in your opinion?
Old 2nd October 2007, 07:50 AM   #17
Rudolf is offline Rudolf  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MJL21193
The SLS drivers are in my price range, but I would really like a higher efficiency (>95db). These will be for music only to augment the base from a pair of sealed 3 ways. They will be driven from a separate amp with an active filter.

Just my curiosity: If you drive those drivers from a separate amp, why do you want a higher efficiency? You NEED to run out of excursion before running out of electric power. If not, your amp is too weak. In a dipole configuration your limiting factor is Xmax, but not efficiency.
Quote:
The w baffle requires 2 drivers, yes? That would be 4 drivers for 2 units.
Your N-profile is just a half W baffle. But the benefit of impulse compensation in a W baffle is huge. I learned that when I cut my first W baffle in half to make it stereo.
If you are going with 15" drivers you might start mono with a single W baffle with two drivers. Could easily be enough bass if you don´t want it for HT.
Quote:
I also want these as slim and compact as possible.They will be located close to the sealed 3 ways.
There is no box configuration with less volume requirement than a Ripole.
Quote:
Have you looked at the Eminence woofer I linked to above? Does it have potential, in your opinion?
From the data sheet it looks fine (in my opinion). What I can´t judge from the paper: Is the pole vent big/quiet enough? And is the small resonance/breakup (?) just below 200 Hz something to consider or not? Since the w baffle s for bass augmentation only, I believe you will cut it below 100 Hz.

Hope this gives some guideline.
Old 2nd October 2007, 03:25 PM   #18
Calvin is offline Calvin  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Yeah...something entertaining:
If ******** could fly, You might think You´d be on an airport.

jauu
Calvin
Old 2nd October 2007, 11:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudolf

Just my curiosity: If you drive those drivers from a separate amp, why do you want a higher efficiency? ...In a dipole configuration your limiting factor is Xmax, but not efficiency.
This is true, and the amp will have enough power. The Peerless 830669 (12") is $75.00 here. Maybe 4 of these, 2 W-profile if I could keep the boxes relatively small.

Quote:
Could easily be enough bass if you don´t want it for HT.

There is no box configuration with less volume requirement than a Ripole.
These will be to supplement the sealed active pair here:Construction journey-Active 3-way

Not for home theater bass. For that I have a bigger sealed, EQ'ed sub (two 18" drivers) shown below.
Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg im000784a.jpg (95.2 KB, 290 views)
Old 2nd October 2007, 11:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally posted by Calvin
Hi,

Yeah...something entertaining:

Hi Calvin,
I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings...and I know you would like to help out here by demonstrating your vast knowledge of the dipole/ripole alignment.
Please, by all means, do so.

Hide this!Advertise here!