What sub for large art studio? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th September 2007, 07:33 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What sub for large art studio?

Hi everyone,

I'm an artist and really need some lower-end in my studio. I'm not sure what I should go with though... here's the specs of the space:

1500 sf (140 sq. meters)
"quanset hut" style steel building (large 1/2 circle curve)
it's insulated
50' (15 meters) long
17' (5 meters) high
CONCRETE FLOOR

I was thinking a long tube-style subwoofer would be best, but I'm open to suggestions. I could build it myself, pay someone else to do it, or just buy something off the shelf (or from someone).

All suggestions welcome!!!!!

Thanks,

James
Old 16th September 2007, 01:58 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to TwisterZ
I lived in a Quanset Hut in Fairbanks Alaska back before it was a state and I don't remember much in the way of insulation.

You might consider an acoustic wave cannon hanging in the middle of your ceiling. Check out this thread,

Acoustic wave canon

There are pics of my cannon on post #265
Old 16th September 2007, 05:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Twisterz,

Thanks for the response. I'm new and wasn't sure if anyone WOULD reply. I love the idea of a wave cannon hanging between my lights near the ceiling.

I took a look at your photo on the other forum... very nicely done! I have to admit, I read more MATH in that thread than I ever thought I would as an artist, and some of it was way above my head. It made me think I should just by an amped square-box front-firing sub.

(Downward doesn't make a lot of sense if it's a concrete floor.)

I DO have one 'room' in my studio that's around 6' deep, 12' long and 9' high.. maybe a down-firing sub would work if it sat on top of the room.

Anyway, I have some Fostex speakers that do alright in the space... but they have no lows, I'm sure I'll figure something out.

James, Port Orchard (near seattle)
Old 16th September 2007, 08:29 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to TwisterZ
Hello James,

I love my canon . If you go this route I'm sure you will enjoy the result. You also have enough length to put two of them if you needed higher volumes. Make sure you use a driver with a large Xmax, I plan on rebuilding mine with the new Mach5 IXL-18.4.

http://www.mach5audio.com/index-1.html

Another option, if the room you mentioned is sealed (or could be) an IB manifold on the top of it could give you lots & lots of base. The more drivers the more base. Also with a switch to reverse the Phase could be used in either room. Check out The Cult.

http://ibsubwoofers.proboards51.com
Old 17th September 2007, 01:42 AM   #5
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Some kind of horn would be fun... if you don't ever plan to move it, it could be built from cheap stuff like MDF, or even recycled cement blocks.

OTOH, those newfangled tapped horns are a whole lot easier to build, and may be quite good enough.
Old 17th September 2007, 04:04 AM   #6
owdi is offline owdi  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello James,

I'm local, and I'd be happy to help you out with the design. I can't build though, because I don't have access to a garage right now.

I have the necessary measuring equipment, and software, to design a great sounding system. But first, I need to know your goals. Is the purpose of this project to provide ambient music for people visiting your studio, or for your personal enjoyment? What is your budget?

A project which I have been itching to try is a stereo pair of bipole sealed subwoofers in sonotubes. Construction would be easy, and the end result would provide excellent low distortion bass.

Let me know. I do this for fun, so no charge for my services.

Dan
Old 17th September 2007, 04:18 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Dan,

Thank you for the offer. I'd love to actually design something for the space... it's VERY odd... huge ceilings, curved wall/ceiling, concrete floor, and different listening spots throughout the day.

I really don't have a budget, but if push came to shove, I'd suspect under $500 at the moment.

If I get a new sculpture commission I'm working on, that could change, but, shrug, you can never tell about these things.

A subwoofer would at least give me bass (I like dance / techno / industrial when I'm making tons of noise and just need motivation) At other times, I listen to Mile Davis... jazz... blues, Irish, ... hell, everything.

I never just sit in the perfect chair and listen when in my studio.

Any help or suggestions from you would be Fantastic!

James
Old 18th September 2007, 01:12 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

A few more questions....

What speaker system will this subwoofer project complement? You mentioned you have Fostex speakers right now. Can you provide some more details?

What are your size and shape restrictions? This is important, because the more space the subwoofer can occupy, the less you have to spend to get your desired results.

How many subwoofers can you accept? Getting uniform bass in a large space is impossible with just one. The more subwoofers you have, the easier it is to arrange them so you have a large sweet spot.

Does that $500 also include an amplifier? Are you willing to buy used?

You seem to like the idea of tube style subwoofers, so a transmission line could be the ticket. They can be very musical, efficient and extend very low. They are also inexpensive to build, and easy to tune with the right equipment. I have many more ideas, but I don't want to make a specific suggestion until I know a little more.

Dan
Old 18th September 2007, 01:34 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Just one possibility...

A pair of down firing Dayton RSS315HF-4 12" Reference drivers, each in a 12" wide 8' long sonotube. One end of the tube would be open, and the inside would be heavily stuffed.

All powered by this Dayton APA150 150W Power Amplifier

The subwoofers would be driven in stereo. You could place them as columns behind your current speakers, or suspend them from the ceiling.

Dan
Old 19th September 2007, 02:51 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi Dan,

When you say 'downfiring' does that mean they must be up and down, or could the 8' tubes be horizontal? if the tubes were 45 feet apart, could they still utilize the single amp?

As for having Two instead of one... is that for the space they will be in?

Thanks!

James

www.jameskelseystudios.com

Hide this!Advertise here!