Which 15" sub - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th September 2007, 08:46 PM   #1
ecl86 is offline ecl86  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Which 15" sub

Hi guys,

Which 15" woofer would be good to use for subwoofer - I will mainly use it for music - my budget is up to $150 but the least expensive the better. It needs not to have the lowest frequency response, as long as it is nice, tight and accurate..... Thanks.
Old 13th September 2007, 09:10 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hard to say - there's no unique answer!
Try simulations with PEERLESS 830867 (15") and DAYTON RSS390HF-4 (15") and ...
BTW: right now I'm beginning with PEERLESS because PartsExpres delivery cost to Europe for Dayton is almost a double of their price!
Good luck!
Regards,
Old 14th September 2007, 07:54 PM   #3
chops is offline chops  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Which 15" sub

Quote:
Originally posted by ecl86
Hi guys,

Which 15" woofer would be good to use for subwoofer - I will mainly use it for music - my budget is up to $150 but the least expensive the better. It needs not to have the lowest frequency response, as long as it is nice, tight and accurate..... Thanks.

Here you go. Take your pick...

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....ctGroup_ID=835

I've got two of the 15" DVC drivers in a sealed 6.3cf enclosure in a push-pull configuration with very excellent results.
Old 17th September 2007, 04:16 AM   #4
rca9449 is offline rca9449  United States
diyAudio Member

Old 17th September 2007, 05:21 AM   #5
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi,

If your budget was just a bit higher, you might want to take a look at Exodus Audio's new 15 inch Sub. I'm not sure if Kevin's got them in stock yet, but they're an updated (XBL2, etc.) version of the legendary Tempest Subwoofer that Adire Audio originally designed. Loads of x-max, good sounding solid bass, and low, low distortion at an affordable price. The design and pedigree is a well proven, superbly engineered product that will not be obsolete for a long time to come.

More info and T/S parameters can be found at:

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/i...?topic=43520.0

Best Regards,
TerryO

(Standard Disclaimer: Kevin Haskins and I are friends, but I don't owe him any money and I wouldn't endorse anything he sells unless it was a good product.)
Old 25th September 2007, 01:47 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

So is the XJ-12 what was supposed to be the Shiva X? Quite a bit different specs compared to what was found through TerryOs link. Or is the XJ-12 a totally different beast?
Old 25th September 2007, 03:38 AM   #7
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by buggsson
So is the XJ-12 what was supposed to be the Shiva X? Quite a bit different specs compared to what was found through TerryOs link. Or is the XJ-12 a totally different beast?

The XJ-12 is a limited run of IB/OB spec drivers. The Shiva X has different specs as you correctly noticed. I'm not sure, but I think that Kevin plans to designate the "Shiva X" as the EX-12.
I'm very sorry if anyone got confused. Kevin's been pretty busy lately and evidently hasn't gotten the chance to update his website.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 26th September 2007, 01:50 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I just bought the last 4 XJ-15's a few weeks ago I'm using them in a Dipole project with 15" PVC check out my new post on the build.

From what Kevin told me the XJ's were supposed to be the Shiva and Tempest 2's or something, but the surrounds from production were two soft so they tuned into the limited XJ's.

With the surounds being to soft the Qts went up and made them very suitable for OB/Dipole use.

Once the surounds are corrected they will then be the Tempest and Shiva again. This is what Keven told me about 3 weeks ago.

Hide this!Advertise here!