Which 15" sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

Which 15" woofer would be good to use for subwoofer - I will mainly use it for music - my budget is up to $150 but the least expensive the better. It needs not to have the lowest frequency response, as long as it is nice, tight and accurate..... Thanks.

Hard to say - there's no unique answer!
Try simulations with PEERLESS 830867 (15") and DAYTON RSS390HF-4 (15") and ...
BTW: right now I'm beginning with PEERLESS because PartsExpres delivery cost to Europe for Dayton is almost a double of their price!
Good luck!
Regards,

ecl86 said:
Hi guys,

Which 15" woofer would be good to use for subwoofer - I will mainly use it for music - my budget is up to $150 but the least expensive the better. It needs not to have the lowest frequency response, as long as it is nice, tight and accurate..... Thanks.

Here you go. Take your pick...

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&CAT_ID=49&ObjectGroup_ID=835

I've got two of the 15" DVC drivers in a sealed 6.3cf enclosure in a push-pull configuration with very excellent results.

Hi,

If your budget was just a bit higher, you might want to take a look at Exodus Audio's new 15 inch Sub. I'm not sure if Kevin's got them in stock yet, but they're an updated (XBL2, etc.) version of the legendary Tempest Subwoofer that Adire Audio originally designed. Loads of x-max, good sounding solid bass, and low, low distortion at an affordable price. The design and pedigree is a well proven, superbly engineered product that will not be obsolete for a long time to come.

More info and T/S parameters can be found at:

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=43520.0

Best Regards,
TerryO

(Standard Disclaimer: Kevin Haskins and I are friends, but I don't owe him any money and I wouldn't endorse anything he sells unless it was a good product.)

buggsson said:
So is the XJ-12 what was supposed to be the Shiva X? Quite a bit different specs compared to what was found through TerryOs link. Or is the XJ-12 a totally different beast?

The XJ-12 is a limited run of IB/OB spec drivers. The Shiva X has different specs as you correctly noticed. I'm not sure, but I think that Kevin plans to designate the "Shiva X" as the EX-12.
I'm very sorry if anyone got confused. Kevin's been pretty busy lately and evidently hasn't gotten the chance to update his website.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Best Regards,
TerryO

I just bought the last 4 XJ-15's a few weeks ago I'm using them in a Dipole project with 15" PVC check out my new post on the build.

From what Kevin told me the XJ's were supposed to be the Shiva and Tempest 2's or something, but the surrounds from production were two soft so they tuned into the limited XJ's.

With the surounds being to soft the Qts went up and made them very suitable for OB/Dipole use.

Once the surounds are corrected they will then be the Tempest and Shiva again. This is what Keven told me about 3 weeks ago.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.