Should I build a home subwoofer system with two 15" MTX Black Golds (car subs)?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Should I build a home subwoofer system with two 15" MTX Black Golds (car subs)?

I've been searching the threads for a while, and haven't found anything on point, so I figured I'd throw this out there.

I have two 15" MTX Black Gold 8 ohm car audio subwoofers. I would like to add these to my home stereo setup (which is not DIY but whatever). I've never run them... they're over ten years old and have never left the box.

There has been a lot of discussion of most car subwoofers are not as efficient as home subwoofers, and that they have power levels that are somewhat misrepresented. When I compare the specs on these subs to the Dayton 12" sub (as a poster suggested as a good reference), it looks like they're pretty close.

So I'm uploading the PDF spec sheet that I have. The sheet is for the 4 ohm version, but I have two 8 ohm versions. Would these make a good home subwoofer option?

Thanks for the opinions.
Dan

Attachments

• black gold cut sheet 154.pdf
    50.4 KB · Views: 60
The parameters will likely be different on the 8 ohm versions but the specs you give indicate 3dB down at 40Hz with both woofers sharing a 9 to 10 ft^3 sealed box. With room gain this might work fine. Pretty hard to tell how they would sound distortion wise without listening to them. Since it is so simple to put together a simple sealed box why don't you give it a try and see how it sounds.

To do a vented box you would really need to get accurate parameters for it. Judging from the 4 ohm units param's I think that a vented box would get pretty ungainly in a hurry.

The Qts is a little on the low side for an infinite baffle (architectural installation) but it might work if you don't push it too hard. So if you want to cut some holes in your walls... ;)

I say give it a whirl and see what you get.

mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.