what materials are used in making speakers????? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th September 2007, 07:17 PM   #1
sweety is offline sweety  India
diyAudio Member

Unhappy what materials are used in making speakers?????

hi friends,,

my name is sweety,, currently i m continuing my studies,,, and i got a project regarding making a loud speaker or sub woofer, so please friends help me out.
Since my childhood i was crazy for loud music and for that i have made preety loud amplifiers. i have made 5.1 channel home theatre, 4.1 and 2.1 channel home theatre.
so basically all i wanted to know that what kind of materials can be used for the making the speakers cone,suspensions, etc.?
Then after, what are the different size of speakers coils available?
What calculation is required for desiging a coil, i.e. on what factors the guage and the turns of copper wire is dicided?
How the size of magnet and the deapth of speaker chasis is decided?

i have heard that , the deeper the the speaker chasis and the cone the more it can produce low frequency, the heavy the magnet give u more output , plastic cones can produce more bass then paper cones!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont know whether all this information is i got is right or wrong, but i need some expert's help, who can atleast give me the correct information.

So please friends, help me.
Old 11th September 2007, 07:56 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Sweety,

There is no simple answer to your question.

Many different materials are used to make loudspeaker drivers.

1. Copper for the voice coil wire.
2. Kapton or Nomex for the voice coil former.
3. Steel for the pole piece and backplate.
4. Steel, magnesium, or aluminum for the basket.
5. Paper, Polypropylene, Kevlar, Bamboo, Aluminum, and other materials for the cone.
6. Foam, paper, and rubber for the surround.

It can take years to learn everything you need to know to design and construct a great sounding pair of speakers.

I have been working in the loudspeaker industry for many years now, and with all that I know, I'm still not as knowledgable as I want to be.

Read everything you can get your hands on, participate in this forum, and never be afraid to ask questions.

Larry
Old 12th September 2007, 01:01 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

And all this time I thought it was "sugar, spice, and everything nice".
Old 15th September 2007, 06:30 PM   #4
sweety is offline sweety  India
diyAudio Member

thanks larry for all that thing.
i have been visiting number of site for this purpose, and i think your information will also help me a lot..

so one more question to u ,, that what should be kept in mind while making a good pair of speakers?
Because i noticed that, the deapth, the coil, the gauge of copper wire, the diameter of copper wire coil, the magnet, etc, plays a very vital role in constructing a speaker.

Even the magnet size has to be according to the required output output, the turns of copper wire,.....so what should i need to keep in mind for making it.....?
Old 17th September 2007, 07:36 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Sweety,

I am not sure exactly what you are attempting to accomplish.

1. Are you trying to design full range speakers or subwoofers?

2. Are you planning to purchase the drivers and components?

Because it sounds like you want to build your own loudspeaker drivers from scratch. If that is the case, you have a long, long, road to travel.

I recommend that you purchase a copy of the "Loudspeaker Design Cookbook" by Vance Dickason. This book gives much of the technical information you will need to learn.

You are correct about all of the items you mentioned playing a vital role in how a driver performs.

Please remember this ... ANYTHING that you change will affect the electrical and mechanical characteristics of a loudspeaker. All of the "parts" make up the 'whole" loudspeaker.

It may be best to select an existing project that has been discussed on one of the forums, and try to duplicate it.

Good luck.

Larry

Hide this!Advertise here!