Shocked by Subwoofer thru Speaker Outlets of Main Amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 8th September 2007, 05:45 AM   #1
lews is offline lews  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Shocked by Subwoofer thru Speaker Outlets of Main Amp

I have a JBL PSW1000 powered subwoofer. I just finished wiring a whole house audio system and when I hooked up the subwoofer using coaxial cables with rca hook ups on the end into my Denon AVR-887, amp, my home theater speaker connectors became line voltage. I've pulled the back off the sub woofer and nothing seems amiss, like a paper clip or something bridging a connection. No evidence of any problem. Any ideas?

Old 8th September 2007, 07:52 PM   #2
Mikey p is offline Mikey p  Canada
diyAudio Member

I had the same kind of problem. I ran speaker wires up the front wall, across the room to the back through a suspended ceiling, and down the rear wall to my rear speakers. I got a jolt from the wires when I attempted to hook up the rear speakers. Using a multimeter the wires showed 32 volts. And the amp wasn't turned on. It turned out to be an induction problem from the wires running beside a couple of overhead florecent light fixtures. Rerouting the wires away from the fixtures fixed the problem. Before you hook your sub up, test the wire with a multimeter and see if there's any voltage. If so, then you have an induction problem. If any other speaker wire is running through walls, test them too. Hopefully its your sub amp causing the problem and not the wiring. Keep us posted on what you find.

Old 8th September 2007, 08:25 PM   #3
chops is offline chops  United States
diyAudio Member

When running long runs of audio cable like that, it's always best to have the audio cables pass over electrical wiring at 90 degrees to avoid any kind of inductance from the power lines. Of course, this is if you have no other choice but to run the audio lines near power lines.

Old 9th September 2007, 05:16 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I checked the rca outlets to the sub (at the wall) and no voltage. When I cut on the sub (without the rca wires plugged in), there is 110volts at either of the rca inputs at the back of the amp. So it's seems to be entirely within the amp, not the whole house wiring.

Any ideas?

Old 9th September 2007, 09:37 AM   #5
Mikey p is offline Mikey p  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thank goodness it wasn't in your whole house wiring. That would have been a pain to redo. As for the amp being the problem, you should post your question in the "Solid State" forum. Better chance of someone there knowing what the problem may be.

Old 9th September 2007, 01:54 PM   #6
y8s is offline y8s  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to y8s Send a message via MSN to y8s Send a message via Yahoo to y8s
do your lights play low frequency music? perhaps the wires were crossed...

Old 9th September 2007, 03:08 PM   #7
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lews
I checked the rca outlets to the sub (at the wall) and no voltage. When I cut on the sub (without the rca wires plugged in), there is 110volts at either of the rca inputs at the back of the amp. So it's seems to be entirely within the amp, not the whole house wiring.

Any ideas?
So the bit about the wiring you did is not related to any of this then. Basically you plug the sub in with no other cables connected to it, then you find 110V at it's input connectors? How are you measuring this voltage, i.e. probes from outer to inner?

Old 9th September 2007, 05:54 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yes that's right. It's nothing to do with the whole house wiring apparently. Just the Sub.

It's interesting on the testing. I get a line voltage reading on both inputs, and on the outside and the inside (sliding the probe in like the male of an rca would go). It seems the whole thing is hot. Oddly, the subwoofer seems to work fine.

Old 9th September 2007, 06:09 PM   #9
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Where are you putting your black probe for the reference? A wall earth terminal?

Old 9th September 2007, 08:36 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I put it on the ground hole at the wall outlet (110v)

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!