Should I Try A DIY 12 or 15" Sealed Design??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I agree, having a servo controlled driver would be nice, but from what I read online this weekend, seems unlikely the 12" Rythmic subs are going to do <20hz...again, just by going by users reviews.

I plan on placing these like you guys suggested: front firing and next to mains. And I sure hope that I CAN get 18hz by 2 sealed 12s *without* a port. Maybe one day I'll get a better audio room that'll allow me to place the subs sl. behind and against the side-wall, another reason I wanted a sealed box.

<CSS drivers are the spiritual descendant of the Adire drivers.>
I didn't know that. Those Adire drivers had great reps. But I've been looking at the specs, not the best thing to do here, of the TCSounds LMS Ultra drivers http://www.audiopulse.com/products/subwoofer-drivers/lms-ultra
Wow! Now that's one hell of a driver! Too bad no 12"s.

Thanks Chops, I edited it correctly.

Fore said:
I agree, having a servo controlled driver would be nice, but from what I read online this weekend, seems unlikely the 12" Rythmic subs are going to do <20hz...again, just by going by users reviews.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

rythmik-directservo-subwoofer-image015.gif

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

chart_ds12s.gif

Perhaps you are searching under reviews of "Rythmic" instead of "Rythmik"?

cheers,

AJ

noodle_snacks said:
You also have to remember that going sealed essentially shoots yourself in the foot in terms of spl at low frequencies.

Have you considered an IB?

It's not that much of a difference on sound levels at the end of the day unless you're trying to use them outside. Room gain (depending, of course, on the size of the room) gives you an increase in volume below a certain frequency point (and that depends on the size of the room you're in - in a car it's as high as 250Hz) of 0-6dB/octave depending on contruction of your room.

For that reason, in my 4x3x2.3m room, my 12" sealed bass boxes are essentially flat down to 20Hz. If I was using anything with a -3dB point any lower than the ~50Hz that I have, then I'd have to remove some bass via EQ. And, if I did have a ported sub, or ported bass bins, then I'd have a lump in response and then a drop-off, as the 24dB/octave roll-off of ported enclosures doesn't match the increase in room gain. So again I'd have to EQ it.

I don't need the subwoofer in this current set-up and if I want to make the HT effect more notice-able, I just turn on the EQ to give 25Hz down a bit of a boost. It's not real, but it sounds good on some of those explosions :D.

IB is a way to provide yourself with effortless bass down "way deep", but can be expensive to set-up. And, you can't move it around once it's in. If you've got a spare attic or basement room then it's a good way to provide good (hidden) bass. But, it is sealed (!:devilr:!).

I am aware of room gain, It would be a silly to factor in room gain into your design, then discover there is next to none there. In the cases i have measured, its effects are neglible (when compared to an outdoors or nearfield measurement). The amount you will get will depend upon your rooms volume, shape and construction. I made my surprisingly contreversial statement because the OP mentioned an open plan house, where there would not likely be any room gain, so yes, he would be essentially essentially shooting himself in the foot in terms of spl at low frequencies.

noodle_snacks said:
I am aware of room gain, It would be a silly to factor in room gain into your design, then discover there is next to none there. In the cases i have measured, its effects are neglible (when compared to an outdoors or nearfield measurement). The amount you will get will depend upon your rooms volume, shape and construction. I made my surprisingly contreversial statement because the OP mentioned an open plan house, where there would not likely be any room gain, so yes, he would be essentially essentially shooting himself in the foot in terms of spl at low frequencies.

So, Fore,
can you post a simple floorplan of the entire "rooms" where your subs are going to be (just a line drawing, showing the walls and doors)?
And can you indicate what the walls are made of (dry-wall, brick)?
And if you have a basement or an attic?
And what your total budget is at the moment (we guarantee to double it...:))?

Fore said:
Ok, I had to download Googles Sketchup and it took me a bit to make it legilble. But I hope this helps

If you're looking to spend up to about $1500 per sub, why not just go with a couple of Bag End Infrasub 18's and be done with it? They're not all that big (3cf sealed), 90lbs each and get you down to 8Hz. It will cost you just about the same and will have everything included, subs, amps, eq.

Just a thought... ;)

chops said:
If you're looking to spend up to about $1500 per sub, why not just go with a couple of Bag End Infrasub 18's and be done with it? They're not all that big (3cf sealed), 90lbs each and get you down to 8Hz. It will cost you just about the same and will have everything included, subs, amps, eq.

Just a thought... ;)

It's actually quite a good thought, Chops. And for the amount of money outlaid, Fore should be able to 'test drive' either 2 or one of them to see if they alleviate the dissapointment he has with the Sunfire. If they do enough, then he can keep them. Or, if he's still unsatisfied then maybe we can help him.

N.B. Fore, we can still help you, but working out if you can actually get bass in the room is something you probably have to do first. You can always say that you're unsatified with the Bag End's and take them back (or is it send them back?) either way.

Fore said:
I don't care for those Bagend subs, and 18's would overload my rom anyway I bet. I heard one once and wasn't that impressed with the quality...had tons of spl though.

As long as it's powerfull enough, any size subwoofer will overload a room. The 18's would only overload your room if you let them. There's a reason why they have level controls on them. ;)

The one you heard may not have been setup properly. I actually barrowed my friend's Infrasub once, and I thought it sounded pretty good. As long as it's in the right place with the right levels and such, it can do justice to a system. And it could really be fun with two! :D

You're right of course Chops, setup and EQ/Control ;)
are essential and that setup I heard wasnt' ideal. But heck, its alot more fun to make my own. I need to continue to learn about diy subs for sure as you can probably tell lol

I'm thinking of just getting the mic and all , learn how to use the equip. and programs..and seeing where I am in bass response in my room just to get me 'in the game' so to speak. (Learning WINisd is quite a task in itself for me). in the meantime, I'll continue to lurk around these great forums and see where it leads me ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.